SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Does Getting Up Early Help Your Mental and Physical Health?

• Does Getting Up Early Help Your Mental and Physical Health?

Posted by kevin-schaefer on January 25, 2019 at 11:00 am

On most days I’m not up and ready until about 10 AM. With my main caregiver’s schedule, and with how extensive my morning routine is, it’s just not feasible for me to be up really early in the morning. I don’t mind, and since I work from home I’m free to make my own schedule.

However, occasionally I do get up earlier, and it has its benefits. This morning for instance, my caregiver had to take off for a conference, and as such my Mom got me up early. I showered last night so she only had to get me dressed and in my chair, and I told her she could get me up before my niece got dropped off to make things easier. By 8:30, I had eaten breakfast, and I was ready for the day.

I’ve already gotten several things done this morning, and I feel more energized. I always prefer sleeping in of course, but I feel healthier when I wake up bright and early. Coordinating my morning routine can be annoying though, because I’m on other people’s schedules.

Can anyone else here relate? What’s your morning routine like?

adnan-hafizovic replied 5 years, 2 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • halsey-blocher

January 25, 2019 at 9:55 pm

I rarely wake up before 9:30. Then I spend the rest of the morning doing breathing treatments, showering, range of motion, etc. It’s time consuming and means I’m almost never ready before 11:45, but getting enough sleep is well worth it. Plus, I have never been a morning person.

• kevin-schaefer

January 27, 2019 at 1:26 pm

I hear you. It’s a time-consuming process, but it’s necessary. For breathing treatments, do you do the vest and cough assist like I do? I also wear a BiPAP at night. The only time I don’t wear it is if I take an afternoon nap, which is pretty rare.

• halsey-blocher

January 28, 2019 at 9:23 pm

Yes, I do the vest, nebulizer, and cough assist three time each day, and I sleep with my vent.

• kevin-schaefer

January 29, 2019 at 9:31 am

Gotcha. Yeah I try to do the cough assist at least once a day, and I do the vest when I’m in the bathroom.

• ryan-berhar-2

January 25, 2019 at 10:06 pm

I usually wake up at 9 or 9:30, and it takes maybe 30-45 minutes to get showered and dressed etcetera. I basically never get up earlier than that. It sort of shocks my system if I do.

• kevin-schaefer

January 27, 2019 at 1:27 pm

Yeah I hear you as well. I can be more flexible about when I go to bed, but I do like to have my morning routine pretty set.

• ryan-berhar-2

January 27, 2019 at 5:39 pm

Yes, same here. If I get up really early it throws me off for a couple days.

• deann-r

January 27, 2019 at 6:17 pm

Because of my PCA schedule most days I’m up and dressed by 8 am. Before my PCA leaves I have her prop my arms on the sink so I can brush my teeth and other grooming stuff. So, usually I’m good to go by 8:30/9:00. I wouldn’t necessarily say that getting up early makes me more productive. I’ve become a pretty routine person. Changes in my routine can mess up my day, but I try not to let it.

• kevin-schaefer

January 28, 2019 at 2:00 pm

Yeah it’s easy to get into a routine and stick with it. Occasionally though it helps me when I have to make changes so I can work around caregiver schedules.

• adnan-hafizovic

January 29, 2019 at 10:26 am

I always get up in 8:30 AM and while I finish all things I need two hours so in eleven I’ve finished morning duties.I like get up early,we have old proverb ;who get up early two lucks grab.