• deann-r

October 9, 2018 at 10:34 am

Halloween was always my least favorite holiday when I was a kid.  I grew up in the era when you went door to door for treats.   Living in Minnesota we usually have to bundle up defeating the purpose of dressing up.  Being a country bumpkin with neighbors spread out made it difficult for my parents to get me in and out of the vehicle so often.  Usually I ended up just staying home passing out candy.  We made that fun one year by rigging a ghost to drop down when we opened the door.

Times have changed though.  I think it’s great that there are Halloween functions that make it so much easier for the kiddos.  Some of the wheelchair costumes are insane!  Puts my homemade headless wheelchairman to shame.

• kevin-schaefer

October 9, 2018 at 11:58 am

That sucks that it’s always cold there. I have another friend in Minnesota who has SMA, and she also hibernates in the fall and winter. I’ll have to see what part of the state she’s in.

But yeah, it is cool to see the progress that’s been made in terms of inclusion. Organizations like Magic Wheelchair are great.

• ryan-berhar-2

October 9, 2018 at 8:49 pm

I’d say I quit participating in Halloween when I was about ten. It’s just so cold here that time of year, and I never cared enough to go through the cold. I was like “why am I going outside in 30 degree whether to collect candy when there’s plenty at home?”

• kevin-schaefer

October 10, 2018 at 12:52 pm

Gotcha. I’m just a kid at heart. For me the candy is only part of the experience. If there’s a Halloween party I’m there, and I will definitely dress up.