SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Handicapped Spot Offenders

• Handicapped Spot Offenders

Posted by ryan-berhar-2 on August 8, 2018 at 7:50 pm

I’m sure we all deal with this on a regular basis. While some handicapped spots are taken by people who are actually handicapped, there are way too many instances where they’re used illegally. Whether the person has no sign, or they’re clearly using someone else’s, it’s a big problem. I’d say about half the handicapped spots where I live are used illegally. I don’t like to get worked up over it, because at the end of the day what can I really do about it? If I call the police, chances are the offender will be long gone by the time they show up. I was just wondering if anyone has discovered any solutions for this problem. Are there any changes to the law that you’d propose to fix this?

ryan-berhar-2 replied 5 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

August 9, 2018 at 10:12 am

Ugh, yes. This happens too many times to all of us. I try to say something to the person directly if they’re still around. Sadly, it’s one of the most ignored laws we have. Both authority figures and perpetrators never seem to care about it. You should write a column about it and do some research into statistics about how often this law is violated in the U.S.

• ryan-berhar-2

August 10, 2018 at 6:58 pm

I’m definitely considering writing a column about it. I just want to think it through a bit more, and try to come up with an actual solution. I don’t want to just complain without offering a solution. That’s why I wanted to make this post.

• adnan-hafizovic

August 10, 2018 at 7:22 am

All we have that problems.I must tell you one positive thing,wich happend to me last year.I was in a walk and someone parked car on sidewalk,and i couldn t pass,that saw one policeman and he came to me and start to write penalty for that car.That saw driver he was in caffe ,and he came,when he come policeman said to him why he write him penalty,because i man in wheelchair couldn t pass,and of course policeman gave him ticket,lol.

• kevin-schaefer

August 10, 2018 at 2:29 pm

That’s encouraging to hear. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen anyone written up for doing this, so that’s good.

• deann-r

August 11, 2018 at 10:00 am

In Minnesota it’s quite entertaining. Typically there are a spot or two open of handicapped parking, however in the winter that’s a different story.  I’ve thought about bringing sticky notes for parking offenders saying, “Please don’t park here.”  What really bugs me is when they park in front of the curb cut or on the stripes blocking access. Now that we have a rear entry mini van it hasn’t been as much of an issue for us.  Would be nice to see more of what Adnan described in violaters being ticketed.

• ryan-berhar-2

August 14, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Rear entry vans are great for this reason! Part of the purpose of a handicapped spot, however, is close proximity to the store. So it’s still problematic from that standpoint.

• jay-pateakos

August 14, 2018 at 10:34 am

This is the worst problem for my family.  And when you see the people that get out of most of the handicapped spots, you know it’s abuse.  My son is in a wheelchair.  If you can walk then do so.  We just went to his first concert-Billy Joel at Fenway.  I always arrive at these things early, always looking for handicapped parking, and never finding any because EVERYONE is handicapped apparently.  Because we can’t fit the van in a parking garage, I was forced to park in the “Residents Only” spot.  And yes, when we came out of the concert, there was $100 parking ticket.  This is where I get bitter.  Same thing with elevators.  My 17 year old is like me, and he said “dad, why are there so many people in the elevator that can walk?”  Because people are lazy son and it’s true.  Fenway isn’t that high up.

• kevin-schaefer

August 14, 2018 at 11:56 am

It’s a real shame. We’ve dealt with this all too many times as well. I’m sorry you had to experience this, but I know all of us can relate. Hope you all were at least able to have fun at the concert.