• Posted by daniela-s on January 21, 2022 at 5:20 pm

Hi everyone I am Daniela. I’m 24 yrs old I have type 2 sma and live in Texas,  originally from Mexico. I’m currently an accounting graduate student.

I look forward to getting to learn more about everyone’s diverse experiences and make new friends.

nikki replied 2 years, 1 month ago 7 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • blake-watson

January 21, 2022 at 5:26 pm

Hi Daniela, welcome to the forum! I’m 36, also SMA type 2, from Mississippi.

I came very close pursuing accounting myself but ended up in business information systems because I’m a computer nerd. ????

• daniela-s

January 24, 2022 at 9:38 pm

Hi Blake! That’s awesome, I think if I hadn’t gone with accounting I might have done something similar to BIS. I’m not a computer nerd but I took a computer programming class in high school which I really enjoyed and then 2 intro classes to BIS.

• blake-watson

January 27, 2022 at 11:13 am

Oh nice! I sort of accidentally discovered that I enjoyed programming and then I took as many programming electives as I could. In BIS the programming exercises were business-oriented so we did a number of accounting/finance programs such as a simple web-based loan amortization tool.

• alyssa-silva

January 21, 2022 at 6:14 pm

Hey Daniela! As I wrote to you earlier, I’m a moderator here. 🙂 I have SMA type 1 and live in Rhode Island. I’m 31 years old with a marketing degree and currently work for a fashion startup as their chief creative officer. We make adaptive lingerie for women with disabilities!

Kudos on getting your graduate degree! I barely passed accounting in college haha, oops. That and economics were my most challenging classes in business school. Welcome to the forums.

• daniela-s

January 24, 2022 at 9:42 pm

Hi Alyssa! Oh wow, that’s awesome! Is there a page to check out the clothing? I’d love to support the business. Haha yeah accounting is definitely something. I took a class my senior year of high school and really enjoyed it so I decided why not major in it. It was going to be either accounting or business info systems/MIS.

• alyssa-silva

January 27, 2022 at 1:43 pm

Absolutely! It’s intimately.co and we’re launching our first collection this Wednesday, February 2nd. There are some teasers on the website now. ????

• sasha

January 22, 2022 at 2:22 am

in Texas, originally from Mexico

How did you move? I always thought it would be extremely difficult to get medical insurance for a new citizen with an already existing severe disability?

I am from Europe, software developer.

• daniela-s

January 24, 2022 at 9:45 pm

I moved here when I was young 5 or 6 years old. I’m not sure, maybe because I was a child? I became a citizen pretty soon after. My disability was also not as severe when we first moved here, I could still walk a bit.

• nikki

January 22, 2022 at 1:08 pm

Hi Daniela, welcome! I am 53 years old with type 2 SMA. I’m a novelist and songwriter here in city of Los Angeles CA. So glad to meet you and good to see you here 🙂

• daniela-s

January 24, 2022 at 9:48 pm

Hi Nikki, nice to virtually meet you! A novelist and songwriter wow, you must be great with words!! Have you published any of your work that I could read/listen to?

• nikki

February 16, 2022 at 2:48 pm

I’ve written a couple of articles for magazines. Feel free to email me [email protected]

• deann-r

January 23, 2022 at 5:21 pm

Welcome! Gosh, you must be talented to be going for your graduate degree. In accounting no less. Like Alyssa, I barely squeaked through my college accounting classes. Is there a specific area of interest?

I’m another moderator here. Feel free to ask any questions and browse through the topics. It’s great to have you here.

• daniela-s

January 24, 2022 at 9:52 pm

Hi DeAnn! Haha yeah accounting can be tough for sure. I’ve really enjoyed it and I’m getting my master’s as it will help me meet course requirements to sit for the CPA exam. I’m interested in doing tax so that’s what my focus is on for my master’s. Thank you for the warm welcome!

• kevin-schaefer

January 24, 2022 at 9:43 am

Hey Daniela, welcome! I’m 28, type 2, and I work remotely for this site’s parent company. I’m also a writer and podcaster. Great to have you!

• daniela-s

January 24, 2022 at 9:58 pm

Hi Kevin! Remote work is awesome, I’m currently doing my master’s online and I love it. The commute to campus was not it, traffic is horrible.

Oo another writer. That’s really good, I was always average in my English classes. Writing was not really my thing. I do enjoy reading though. Is there a specific genre you like to write about?

• kevin-schaefer

January 25, 2022 at 10:55 am

That’s awesome!

Yeah, so I write a column for this site, which you can read here. I also write comic/graphic novel scripts. I like sf/fantasy, horror, and comedy.