SMA News Forums Forums SMA News Today Multimedia SMA News Today’s YouTube Here’s How I Received the COVID-19 Vaccine

• Here’s How I Received the COVID-19 Vaccine

Posted by deann-r on March 9, 2021 at 2:00 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpj0VHafejw
    As vaccinations roll out throughout the country it can be disheartening when you’re not among the eligible recipients. Yet again it seems like there’s a whole sector of the population being overlooked. Unfortunately I don’t know how to change this, however I did figure out how to work within the limited scope to get my vaccine. In this video I talk about why I got vaccinated as well as how I qualified to get one and what it was like.

When you can’t change the process sometimes you have to look for loopholes, and that’s just what I did. Have you been able to get a vaccine yet? From our previous conversations I know many of you were still waiting. I’m hoping that’s changing.

deann-r replied 3 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • dennis-turner

March 9, 2021 at 2:14 pm

Got my first dose! The hospital contacted me and told me to come get it!

• deann-r

March 11, 2021 at 8:23 am

That’s great Dennis! Good luck with number 2!

• kelly-miller

March 9, 2021 at 2:32 pm

Florida just opened up for those with all pre-existing conditions, and Mayo, where my doctors are, started giving the vaccine. I got an appt for March 5th, receiving the first dose of the Pfizer brand shot. It went off without a hitch, and the only side-effect I experienced was a sore spot on my arm for several days. I’m due back for the 2nd dose after 21 days, and I have an appt for March 31st. I found that this all was less problematic than with the flu vaccine I get every year.

• deann-r

March 11, 2021 at 8:21 am

Kelly, they’re just opening it up here too, finally. I still think SMA should’ve been higher on the priority list. Glad to hear your first dose went well. Good luck with dose 2!

• nikki

March 10, 2021 at 5:02 pm

Hi Deann thank you for this post! I’m so thankful that you gave your experience. I’m in Los Angeles CA and we have not been given the green light yet to make an appointment for the vaccine. My doctor however, he has asked me to hold off. I was wondering, you seem like you had such a mellow experience, do you have any medicine allergies? I have a long list and my doctor wants me to be cautious about that.

• deann-r

March 11, 2021 at 8:17 am

Nikki, I do not have any allergies so it wasn’t of much concern to me. They did have us wait 15 minutes afterwards to monitor for any adverse reactions. I don’t know if that’s standard or not. It’s definitely challenging when you have to weigh in risk factors.