SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Here’s How this SMA News Today Columnist Writes

• deann-r

November 1, 2018 at 10:28 am

I gave up pen to paper probably right after college.  Even during college I mainly used a laptop.  My laptop is like a desktop though as it’s not that portable.  When I broke my arm I was like, “Crap, there goes my ability to type.”  Tried installing Dragon to do speech to text but something with my system wasn’t compatible.  Then I discovered the on-screen keyboard.  Slowed me down a bit, but works for the moment.  I use a mini mouse, but like the sounds of the app Alyssa mentioned, so might check it out.

• ryan-berhar-2

November 1, 2018 at 11:52 pm

All throughout school, I could hand write, however, I needed a certain pen. It’s called Precise V7. It’s just a regular pen you can find in most stores, not adapted or anything, but it writes phenomenally well. It requires next to no pressure to work. With pretty much any other pen, I can’t apply enough pressure to make it work consistently, and if I write with a pencil it’s barely visible. I obviously write a lot now, but I do it 100% with my phone. I can write efficiently with it, especially using the predictive keyboard. I have a dictation software called dragon, but  it’s just so inconvenient to have to get out the computer, the mic, make sure everything is charged, open a document, save the document, make sure the room is quiet etcetera. I don’t want to come accross as negative about dragon, as it’s a great software that I’d recommend, it’s just inconvenient for me compared to my phone. In terms of hand writing now, I can still do it, but extremely inefficiently. The only time i do is signing stuff.