Sponsored Post

The importance of newborn screening for SMA

Rory and Carolyn met in seminary, fell in love, and got married. They decided to hold off on starting their own family while they settled into their first jobs in North Dakota. After a few years, they moved to Minnesota, where Rory accepted a job as a minister, and Carolyn enrolled in a hospital chaplain residency program. At the time, they did not know how important the decision to move would be for their future family. When they moved, neither North Dakota nor Minnesota had SMA on their newborn screening panel. It wasn’t until March 2018 that Minnesota adopted and implemented newborn screening for SMA, and then several months later, in 2018, Rory and Carolyn’s only son Edan was born.

This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 years, 2 months ago by DeAnn R.

• Author
      Anna
      Participant

Hi,

my Name is Anna. I’m 40 years old, have SMA type II and I live – together with my identical twin sister – in the wonderful City of Berlin in Germany.

I’m a medical doctor and I’ve been working fulltime for the Federal Ministry of Health for the last 11 years. I’m also on the board of SMA Europe which is an European umbrella organisation of national SMA organisations.

Next to my work I love to spend time with my Friends, to cook and eat together. I really enjoy travelling around the world to meet other People.

I would love to stay in contact with those I met in Dallas and to learn from others or Maybe help some of you.

Kevin Schaefer
      Keymaster

Thanks for posting Anna! It was great meeting you and Friederike in Dallas, and having you both on the podcast. For users out there, please give this episode a listen if you haven’t already: https://soundcloud.com/sma-news-today/sma-news-today-podcast-10-friederike-and-anna-wittchen-from-curesma-2018.

Michael Morale
      Keymaster

Hey Anna, this is Michael Morale. We met at the conference. It was a pleasure meeting you and your sister and I would love to stay in contact with the both of you.

DeAnn R
      Keymaster

It was great to hear your story!  Sounds like you sure have had some travel adventures.  I don’t recall if you discussed this, do you have a favorite travel destination?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2020 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2020 All rights reserved.