SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA How are you feeling in this post-COVID world?

• How are you feeling in this post-COVID world?

Posted by alyssa-silva on April 24, 2023 at 12:38 pm

Hi all. Just wanted to do a quick COVID check-in. I can’t believe it has been three years already. Some days it still feels like three weeks. Since having to scale back on my lifestyle and stay home more often, time doesn’t seem to exist in my world. Everything blends together. 

How are you feeling these days about the pandemic? Are you ready to resume normal activity? Does that thought bring you any hesitation or worry? Feel free to vent below.

alyssa-silva replied 11 months ago 5 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • deann-r

April 26, 2023 at 10:09 am

I haven’t actually been sick since having Covid. It’s making me extremely anxious though because it seems like all the precautions have been thrown out the window. I hear a lot of viral stuff is going around so I’m just crossing my fingers I’ll avoid it. I don’t venture out as much as I used to but would like to get out more when the weather warms up. Have you been out more?

• alyssa-silva

April 27, 2023 at 9:22 pm

I hear ya. It makes me anxious too. I haven’t had COVID yet, but I have been sick. I hear there’s a new variant over in India or something. Usually, those variants make their way here a few months later. Not looking forward to it. 🙄 Are you planning on getting another booster?

• mark-pratt

April 27, 2023 at 2:39 pm

Like everyone else, I got very used to staying home.  But now I’m going out more and more, actually forcing myself to do the things I used to do.  Now that I do, I find that I’m much happier mentally.

• alyssa-silva

April 27, 2023 at 9:28 pm

I know. I kind of got used to it too. I’m venturing out a little more these days now that the weather is nicer. I have difficulty breathing while wearing a mask so I try to keep my activities outdoors. I don’t feel comfortable without a mask indoors. What types of things have you been doing to get out and about?

• anna

April 28, 2023 at 3:37 am

I don’t feel comfortable without a mask indoors either, so indoor dining is still out of the question. The only change in my routine is that I occasionally have people over without a mask provided that they feel healthy. I wonder if I should get another booster before autumn, but I’m not sure it’s worth it now that summer is approaching. Besides, there are worse viruses going around this year, albeit less contagious.

What I find a bit worrisome is that, although the epidemiological data is not much different than it was four years ago, we still don’t feel ready to resume normal activity. Is it a matter of time or are we permanently damaged??

• alyssa-silva

April 28, 2023 at 10:46 am

I ask myself the same question, Anna. I hope we’re not permanently damaged. But, the truth is, I don’t know. COVID is here to stay so I hope we all adjust.

Have you asked your doctor about getting another booster? I’m wondering the same thing, so I’m going to email mine.

• anna

April 29, 2023 at 1:53 pm

My GP says that COVID is a lot milder now than it was 3 years ago and that, if I think I can be reasonably cautious and avoid exposure, I could wait until autumn. I haven’t discussed it with my pulmonologist yet, but I know he’s generally very strict about being up to date on all types of vaccines, so I expect a different advice…

• alyssa-silva

May 1, 2023 at 10:03 am

Yeah I guess it’s ultimately your call. I’m glad that the virus is milder now but the question is: will it be mild for someone like us? That’s what concerns me.

• anna

May 2, 2023 at 6:01 am

This is the burning question of my entire life (regarding any virus) and I doubt it will ever change. I just miss the pre-pandemic version of me when every day was a calculated risk and I was ok with it.

• alyssa-silva

May 2, 2023 at 1:49 pm

Me too. You’re not alone my friend.

• micaela-macdougall

April 29, 2023 at 2:50 pm

It can definitely feel isolated sometimes.  I’m finally feeling ready to start doing some more public activities, as long as I’m wearing a mask (like movies, concerts, and live theater).  It’s definitely weird being the only person in a mask.  I kind of wish the pandemic had normalized masks, instead of everyone being in such a hurry to take their masks off.

• alyssa-silva

May 1, 2023 at 10:07 am

Right? At the beginning of the pandemic, I really thought COVID would at least normalize wearing masks and was excited about it. Boy was I WRONG lol. I’m glad you are starting to do more!