SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology How do you sit in your wheelchair?

• How do you sit in your wheelchair?

Posted by sasha on December 27, 2021 at 4:42 am

How do you sit in your wheelchair? Do you use belts or other support attachments?

I was sitting a bit weirdly in my wheelchair for 10+ years, kind of relying on its a bit unusual seat cushion shape and armrest.

Now I am trying a new wheelchair and can’t find the right way to sit. Trying with its belt (horizontal), seems mostly fine, but I am afraid that it can result in pressure sores etc. on the chest.

dennis-turner replied 1 year, 11 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • greg-sealey

December 27, 2021 at 10:18 am

I use a lap belt that comes with the wheelchair. That is solely for security though. I also use a Velcro strap around my lower chest and abdomen area. This helps keep me from falling forward to far. I have the lateral supports along both of my ribs under my arms. This keeps me from falling left or right. I also use a headrest when needed (usually when I’m outside the house). The headrest simply provides security and prevents me from falling backwards to far when I am in my van or on rough terrain.

I have used a Velcro chest trap for many years and have never had any skin issues.

• sasha

December 27, 2021 at 12:20 pm

What kind of strap do you use? Can you give a link?

• deann-r

December 28, 2021 at 9:42 pm

I use a wide padded chest strap across my abdomen to lean into. Because it’s wider and padded it doesn’t fold over and become uncomfortable like the regular lap belt does for me. Mine has a latch because I had a bad experience with Velcro. I don’t have a link or brand, but I would think your wheelchair rep could come up with a good solution for you.

• alyssa-silva

December 29, 2021 at 12:18 pm

I don’t use any straps unless I’m in the car. I do have a custom mold seat which provides added comfort and support for me.

• pamela-muhammad

May 20, 2022 at 9:43 am

I use a regular seatbelt that came with the wheelchair, and I only use it when I ride the bus. And also, there’s a padded siding on my right ribs that gives me some support.

• dennis-turner

May 24, 2022 at 6:05 pm

Lap belt that came with my chair. I have enough trunk strength to be able to sit upright on my own, but have almost fallen out when I forgot the lap belt.