• deann-r

February 9, 2023 at 9:31 am

She’s just the cutest thing ever! Do you follow Squirmy & Grubs? On a recent podcast Hannah talked about “cute aggression.” Stella evokes that because I just want to pick her up and smoosh her she’s so stinkin’ adorable.

Curious the response you’ll get from your article. A few years ago I posted about considering a pet for Christmas. I was surprised at the backlash, especially from parents. Basically, how I could suggest getting a pet while not considering they have so much on their plate caring for a disabled child. As you point out there are a lot of considerations, but sometimes the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Kudos to you guys though, I don’t think I could handle the puppy stage. Give me a kitten any day of the week, but a puppy, oh boy.

• alyssa-silva

February 10, 2023 at 10:38 am

I’m surprised you received backlash for something like that! How awful. It’s no one’s decision to make but yours. But yes. It is A LOT of work. Stella is crazy. We’re a little tired and overwhelmed at this point, but the love and joy she brings us are too good to pass up. Thankfully the puppy stage doesn’t last forever. ????

• patrick-lenihan

February 9, 2023 at 10:17 pm

Congratulations on the new puppy! She is beautiful and adorable! I got a rottweiler puppy last summer. She was 5 months old when we got her because the breeder was holding her back for a friend. When the friend decided she couldn’t raise a puppy and a new born baby at the same time the breeder decided to rehome the puppy. We named the puppy Mavis after one of my favorite singers ( Mavis Staples). While SMA doesn’t factor into whether I get a puppy or dog, I do consider SMA when deciding which puppy or dog I select . I always choose a dog that has a temperament that is compatible with my lifestyle and abilities. We chose Mavis over her sister because Mavis was more mellow and has a lower prey drive. We also have an eight year old black Labrador retriever. Meet Mavis and Dougal! 

• alyssa-silva

February 10, 2023 at 10:44 am

Thank you! And you’re absolutely right. Picking the right breed should be a huge factor in the decision-making process as well. Temperament is so important. I never expected rottweilers to be mellow. Good to know!

• tammy

February 12, 2023 at 6:38 pm

I love dogs! I love all animals really! So cute I’m glad you got one. It definitely has swayed my mind on getting one because I don’t have enough help at my apartment and I am at my mom’s house 50% of the time. But I do have a dog at my mom’s house which is both of ours. If it were up to me though and if I had more help, and I knew it wouldn’t be getting left alone at times, I would definitely get another one to have with me in my apartment full-time.