SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology I’m Getting a New Wheelchair!

• I’m Getting a New Wheelchair!

Posted by alyssa-silva on December 19, 2019 at 11:16 am

Holy cannoli, I’m getting a new wheelchair at the end of the month!

I’m actually pretty surprised by how quickly the whole process took, but I’m also nervous to be making such a huge transition. I’ve had my current chair for about 10 years now, so talk about going out with a bang for 2019.

I’m a creature of habit when it comes to my equipment. I don’t like change and am not a fan of the adjustment period when using something new. That being said, I’d have been foolish to prolong getting a new chair as my current one has some serious wear and tear.

In bargaining with my PT, I convinced her to at least let me keep my custom-molded seat as I fit in it just fine. WIN.

Overall, I’m excited about my new ride in spite of the changes that come along with it. How long have you had your wheelchair? Are you a creature of habit as well?

alyssa-silva replied 4 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • dennis-turner

December 19, 2019 at 3:04 pm

Win indeed!

I have only had mine three years, but mine has been failing me quite frequently, so I am looking forward to getting an upgrade in a couple yesrs.

Enjoy your new chair.

• deann-r

December 19, 2019 at 4:54 pm

Exciting and nerve-wracking all at the same time!  My chair is about 7 years old.  I kind of want to start the process this spring.  Since I hated my previous chair though it makes me nervous.  I hope your new chair is fabulous!

• alyssa-silva

December 19, 2019 at 10:43 pm

Dennis, I’m sorry you’ve been having issues. Hopefully, your chair keeps going these last couple of years.

• alyssa-silva

December 19, 2019 at 10:46 pm

Thanks DeAnn! Fingers crossed the transition and adjustment period won’t be too problematic with the new chair.

• halsey-blocher

December 20, 2019 at 9:38 pm

I’m impressed that you get to keep your seating system! I’ve never even thought to ask that!

My current chair is relatively new. Only about two years old. It definitely took a while to get used to. We made little adjustments to it pretty much every day, and the guy from the wheelchair company came back after about a week to make any major changes. Once everything was situated comfortably it became my favorite chair. We tried to combine all my favorite parts of my past chairs into one.

What kind will your new one be?

• alyssa-silva

December 23, 2019 at 11:38 am

Yes, I know what you mean, Halsey! I, too, need many adjustments made in the following weeks of getting the chair. To be completely honest, I’m not quite sure what I’m getting— can’t remember haha. It’ll be like Christmas morning all over again!

• chelsea-chandanais

January 9, 2020 at 11:37 am

I am starting the process to get my first wheelchair and I am a little nervous. I have done some research and I am hoping that I will be able to get the new Quantum Stretto with iLevel.

• alyssa-silva

January 9, 2020 at 3:42 pm

I was nervous too, Chelsea. I don’t like change! But I hope you get your Quantum Stretto! Seat elevation is so important. Not only just to be able to reach things and sit at high tops, but to also be eye level with our peers. It can sometimes feel demeaning when people are always looking down at us.