This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 years, 3 months ago by Kevin Schaefer.

• Author
      Brianna Albers
      Keymaster

Hi everyone! I hope your week is going well so far.

I thought I’d throw up a link to my latest column, which came out yesterday. One of my “resolutions” for 2019 was to work towards greater independence, and I’m happy to say I’ve made some progress! A week or so ago I went to a movie by myself for the first time. It never really crossed my mind as something I could do, but it all went off without a hitch, so I’m looking forward to going again sometime soon!

Have you ever gone somewhere or done something by yourself? Is there an independence goal you’re hoping to cross off your resolutions list this year?

Kevin Schaefer
      Keymaster

Great column Brianna! This reminded me of the first time I went on a trip with just friends and my caregiver. We went to a Comicon in Charlotte, North Carolina, and I had a great time. It was good for me to prove that I could do things like this without my parents, and it was a major step in my independence.

Also, no joke, I see about 30-40 movies in theaters every year. Especially in the last few years since I’ve been working, I go all the time. Even in the winter when I should stay inside more to avoid colds, I’d have to be handcuffed to keep me from going to my favorite local movie theaters. If you ever need any tips on accessibility, which theaters have things like free companion seats for wheelchair-users, etc., talk to me.

Brianna Albers
        Keymaster

Thanks, Kevin! A few years ago I attended a con with some friends – my PCA stayed in the building in case I needed anything as the con was about 45 minutes from home and it worked out well. I still can’t get over how many movies that is! I can barely wrap my head around it 😂

Kevin Schaefer
          Keymaster

Nice! And yeah most cons I’ve gone to have been good about accessibility, and there are always volunteers around to help me if I need food or something. I shoot for about three cons a year, but two of those are local. The Charlotte one is about three hours away from where I live, so it’s doable. I’d like to go to some that are out-of-state, but those involve more planning and logistics.

And yeah, I’m kind of obsessed haha. Regal theaters let me get a companion in for free, and the Alamo Drafthouse has a lot of rewards for victory members. But yeah, movies are my escape and my preferred medium. Though I also love comics, books and tv. And since we still have our old minivan that’s pretty crappy (but that still works), my parents are totally fine letting friends drive me in it. They kind of prefer it, as they know it gives me independence, and they trust me to pick reliable people to drive it.

DeAnn R
      Keymaster

That’s fantastic! It’s always a little scary doing things on your own for the first time, but I’ve found it can be so worth it. I look back sometimes and can’t believe some of the stuff I’ve pulled off. Typically what you think will go wrong doesn’t and if something does go wrong you can figure it out. Were you able to enjoy the show?

P.s. Crazy Rich Asians is also on my to watch list.

Brianna Albers
        Keymaster

Thanks! I was. Honestly, my mom was more concerned than I was – most of the anxiety I experienced was probably a result of her unease 😂 Let me know what you think if you end up watching it!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2021 All rights reserved.