SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA My Journey Toward Greater Independence

• My Journey Toward Greater Independence

Posted by brianna-albers on January 29, 2019 at 11:00 am

Hi everyone! I hope your week is going well so far.

I thought I’d throw up a link to my latest column, which came out yesterday. One of my “resolutions” for 2019 was to work towards greater independence, and I’m happy to say I’ve made some progress! A week or so ago I went to a movie by myself for the first time. It never really crossed my mind as something I could do, but it all went off without a hitch, so I’m looking forward to going again sometime soon!

Have you ever gone somewhere or done something by yourself? Is there an independence goal you’re hoping to cross off your resolutions list this year?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

January 29, 2019 at 1:00 pm

Great column Brianna! This reminded me of the first time I went on a trip with just friends and my caregiver. We went to a Comicon in Charlotte, North Carolina, and I had a great time. It was good for me to prove that I could do things like this without my parents, and it was a major step in my independence.

Also, no joke, I see about 30-40 movies in theaters every year. Especially in the last few years since I’ve been working, I go all the time. Even in the winter when I should stay inside more to avoid colds, I’d have to be handcuffed to keep me from going to my favorite local movie theaters. If you ever need any tips on accessibility, which theaters have things like free companion seats for wheelchair-users, etc., talk to me.

• brianna-albers

February 1, 2019 at 4:51 pm

Thanks, Kevin! A few years ago I attended a con with some friends – my PCA stayed in the building in case I needed anything as the con was about 45 minutes from home and it worked out well. I still can’t get over how many movies that is! I can barely wrap my head around it 😂

• kevin-schaefer

February 3, 2019 at 10:18 am

Nice! And yeah most cons I’ve gone to have been good about accessibility, and there are always volunteers around to help me if I need food or something. I shoot for about three cons a year, but two of those are local. The Charlotte one is about three hours away from where I live, so it’s doable. I’d like to go to some that are out-of-state, but those involve more planning and logistics.

And yeah, I’m kind of obsessed haha. Regal theaters let me get a companion in for free, and the Alamo Drafthouse has a lot of rewards for victory members. But yeah, movies are my escape and my preferred medium. Though I also love comics, books and tv. And since we still have our old minivan that’s pretty crappy (but that still works), my parents are totally fine letting friends drive me in it. They kind of prefer it, as they know it gives me independence, and they trust me to pick reliable people to drive it.

• deann-r

January 29, 2019 at 3:49 pm

That’s fantastic! It’s always a little scary doing things on your own for the first time, but I’ve found it can be so worth it. I look back sometimes and can’t believe some of the stuff I’ve pulled off. Typically what you think will go wrong doesn’t and if something does go wrong you can figure it out. Were you able to enjoy the show?

P.s. Crazy Rich Asians is also on my to watch list.

• brianna-albers

February 1, 2019 at 4:52 pm

Thanks! I was. Honestly, my mom was more concerned than I was – most of the anxiety I experienced was probably a result of her unease 😂 Let me know what you think if you end up watching it!