SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Kevin’s Weekly Journal 10/1 through 10/7/18

• Kevin’s Weekly Journal 10/1 through 10/7/18

Posted by kevin-schaefer on October 8, 2018 at 7:00 am

After a string of busy weekends, I finally had some time to stay home and relax this past Saturday. I slept in, read comic books and watched Netflix. I needed it, as I have been pushing myself hard lately. Though I went out with a friend on Friday night, Saturday was my “stay in and do nothing” day.

It’s funny. My schedule in college was much more hectic than now, but I still find that I’m doing more now that I work full-time. In college my days were long, but I could take breaks in between classes and had plenty of time to meet up with friends. Now I pretty much just get up and work all day in my home office, and then go out with friends a couple nights a week. Plus I don’t have things like summer and fall break anymore. I know I took these things for granted when I was in school, which I’m sure is the case for most students. I love my job (the money is nice too), but I am trying to be more conscious about my energy levels and not overdoing it.

I wrote about this in another post last week, but my appointment with my pulmonologist went great last Thursday. My PFT tests came back with numbers that were mostly the same as the last time I went, and in some cases better. My pulmonologist told me to keep up the good work and avoid colds and such during the winter. I also got my flu shot while I was there.

The heat here in North Carolina is still pretty rampant, so I haven’t gotten out and walked my dog as much as I’d like. It’s crazy that it’s this hot in October, but hopefully it will get a little cooler soon. I like the breeze of fall weather, before it gets too cold.

My only appointment this week is physical therapy, which I don’t mind at all. The commute gets a little annoying, but my pt has noticed some real improvements in my strength and flexibility lately. It’s definitely worth the effort.

What did you all do this week? Do you have any questions regarding PT, or anything else I mentioned in this post?

michael-morale replied 5 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • michael-morale

October 8, 2018 at 7:57 am

While most “able bodied” people hate physical therapy, have you noticed how those of us with SMA love it? Good luck in your PT today, and enjoy it.

• kevin-schaefer

October 8, 2018 at 12:35 pm

Thanks Michael! Yeah when I got back into PT a few years ago, I was skeptical. For one, I wasn’t sure what good it would do me given the extent of the atrophy in my muscles. I also had reservations about the exercises themselves and finding a good PT who would listen to me. Fortunately, each therapist I’ve worked with has been fantastic, and I’m also seeing progress. My best advice for others with SMA is to just find a good PT who will listen to you, and stay at it.

• deann-r

October 8, 2018 at 12:47 pm

I live in the wrong state!  I don’t think it’s been over 50 in the last week.  Just asked Alexa the 7 day and not a 50 in sight.  Ugh!

Although I do occupational therapy, I’ve found physical therapists don’t know what to do with me.  Do you do aqua therapy and physical therapy?

• kevin-schaefer

October 8, 2018 at 12:51 pm

Ugh, my sympathies. I’d certainly like for it to cool down a little here, but I couldn’t handle that kind of cold.

I just do aquatic therapy, which is great. I don’t think I could handle PT on land. It can be frustrating to find a good physical therapist who will listen to you, but I’d keep trying. Has your occupational therapist ever recommended anyone?

• michael-morale

October 8, 2018 at 3:25 pm

Hey DeAnn, I too can sympathize with you regarding finding a good physical therapist. I just happened to be extremely lucky when I found Laura. She was very comfortable in dealing with me because her sister is a quadriplegic. Many years ago, her sister was in a car wreck, and Laura worked with her for many years at home which is one of the reasons why she became a physical therapist.

The best thing to do is to interview physical therapists and let them know a little bit of information about SMA. I found that many therapists who do not want to work with you are probably able to work with you, they’re just not sure how to handle you with your SMA. You need to inform them that it’s a neuromuscular disease and that physical therapy will now help you sustain the muscle that you already have and could possibly help you make these muscles stronger. You basically have to give them the rundown on what SMA is so that they feel comfortable. I think once you find a physical therapist that feels comfortable dealing with the SMA, they’ll probably turn out to be a great therapist for you. Hope this helps.