SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Letting My Body Be a Body

• Letting My Body Be a Body

Posted by brianna-albers on March 5, 2019 at 7:00 am

Hope you had a great weekend, everyone! My latest column went up yesterday, in which I talk about acne (yay) and how it’s affected my self-esteem over the years. I actually have cystic acne, which—as far as I know—is deeper than regular acne, so it’s far harder to treat. I basically have to be on a slow drip of amoxicillin to keep myself from breaking out, because otherwise, it’s so painful that I struggle to even wash my face without crying.

I still break out every once in a while. I can usually take care of it pretty quickly, but it’s an exercise in patience—I hate going out with my face red and swollen, and always have to fight the urge to put makeup on to, at the very least, hide some of the ugly. But this time I actually let my skin be, and it healed abnormally fast, so I’m happy! I get so down on my body when it doesn’t work the way I want it to, but in most cases, my body knows better than my brain does, so I’m trying to trust it more.

Do any of you struggle with acne? Any home remedies to share?

emma replied 5 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • deann-r

March 5, 2019 at 10:53 am

I’ve never had great skin. Mine’s the type that’s dry & flaky yet oily at the same time. It’s worse in the winter. I’ve learned that if I keep it properly moisturized it’s a little better because then my body doesn’t think it has to produce extra oil. My face can be finicky with the products I use, but I’ve found the regimen that works, somewhat, for me.

Do you watch the show Dr Pimple Popper on TLC? The emotions individuals have over their issues is so interesting. I think it bothers the individual more than anyone else. On the upside you have the wheelchair to distract from the acne!

• brianna-albers

March 7, 2019 at 7:44 pm

Ugh, I’m sorry to hear that! My skin gets really dry during the winter, which is not fun at ALL. I’m glad you’ve found a regimen that works for you though!

I haven’t, but I’ve heard of it! It doesn’t surprise me that people struggle with it as much as they do – it’s so personal and, I think, deeply shaming sometimes. But you’re right, the wheelchair definitely helps 😂

• halsey-blocher

March 5, 2019 at 9:55 pm

I’m in the same boat as DeAnn. My face has no idea if it wants to be dry or oily, so it does both. I use Clean & Clear face soap, and I really like that. They have one that are specifically for acne too.

• brianna-albers

March 7, 2019 at 7:46 pm

Oh no! I hope you’re able to find something that helps with the dryness! It’s so frustrating when nothing seems to work.

• adnan-hafizovic

March 7, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Let  I also write something about this. I must admit that I have no skin problems. I do not use anything special, I wash my face only with water and I use only after shaving aftershave losion and Nivea creme.I think when we have a problem with skin that it shows us that we miss something, some vitamin or mineral.My problem is dandruff and I’m fighting with it.

• brianna-albers

March 7, 2019 at 7:48 pm

That’s great you don’t have any skin issues!! It really just depends on the person for some reason. But I hope you’re able to figure out a plan of attack for your dandruff – I honestly don’t know much about it, though I’m sure there’s something out there that will work for you!

• adnan-hafizovic

March 8, 2019 at 8:41 am

I tried with a shampoo “Head & Shoulders”that was good against dandruff, but my hair began to fall off, so I decided to have a little bit of dandruff but also have hair, lol.Brianna it is ok now but before that was really big problem with me and because of that I totally understand you and your problem with acne.

• deann-r

March 8, 2019 at 9:22 am

Adnan, have you tried shampoo with tea tree oil?  It’s supposed to be good for dandruff.  You can also add a few drops to your favorite shampoo.

• emma

March 9, 2019 at 5:07 pm

Hey Brianna!

Great column as always, love reading you on mondays

I’ve also had problems with acne ( i think we’re the same age) and i’m currently doing a research to find the right pill ( i talked a bit about it in the subject i created about uterus problems) and one of my doctor told me that it will also really improve my acne, i’m starting a new one that apparently helps everyone with that so we’ll see if it is effective, hormones can be such a weird thing sometimes

• adnan-hafizovic

March 10, 2019 at 1:05 pm

No I haven’t try but I’ll try with that.Thanks