SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Long and Short-Term Goals

• Long and Short-Term Goals

Posted by kevin-schaefer on February 8, 2019 at 7:00 am

I recently had a conversation with my caregiver about dreams for the future, and about long and short-term goals. I’ve always had some big dreams, which I think can be healthy. I think dreams can be great motivators, and I enjoy reading memoirs by my favorite writers and artists to see how they achieved their goals.

For me, my goals are more career-oriented. I want to produce some of my more longform comic book projects that I’ve written, table at conventions, and eventually get into voice-acting. I did a lot of theatre growing up, and between that and podcasting I want to sort of combine the two. Plus I’ve always loved animation. I have other writing and public speaking goals, but those are some big dreams I have.

What about you all? Do you think about goals you have for yourselves? These can apply to career goals, relationship goals, or goals related to independent living.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • ryan-berhar

February 8, 2019 at 10:18 pm

The only real goal I have is to move into my own home and provide for myself financially. I guess that’s two, but they go hand in hand.

• kevin-schaefer

February 11, 2019 at 1:59 pm

It’s a good goal to have. Do you have a timeline for when you want to make this happen?

• ryan-berhar

February 11, 2019 at 6:26 pm

Well it becomes more feasible once I get on SSDI, which I’m told will take about five years. So my plan for the time being is basically just to work and save for the next five years. By then I should have significant savings along with SSDI. I do hope to achieve the goal sooner than that, but that just depends on what my income situation looks like, which is difficult to project.

• deann-r

February 11, 2019 at 11:26 am

This was actually a tough question for me.  I have dreams that are highly unlikely to ever happen.  I never say never, but it’s probable I’ll won’t reside in Hawaii or travel to New Zealand any time soon.  With that being said when I look back on my life I’ve accomplished some pretty amazing things including going to college, getting a service dog and living independently. Maybe to the average person those seem like normal steps in life, but let me tell you it wasn’t easy.  When I set my mind on something though I usually make it happen.  My goals as of late are much less grandiose.  Mainly I want to maintain where I’m at in life and enjoy what I’m doing.  Going alongside enjoying what I’m doing I also want to make you guys some fabulous videos this year!  What do you want to see?

• kevin-schaefer

February 11, 2019 at 1:58 pm

Hey, never say never. Like you said, you accomplished your other goals and you’re still living independently. At the least you could shoot to move to a warmer area. But yeah, it is a tough question.

• halsey-blocher

February 11, 2019 at 9:44 pm

I would love to travel to many places, and someday I want to have a family. I’m sure both down the road a ways. In the meantime, I want to continue furthering my volunteer work, and I’m hopeful it could eventually lead to a small paid position.

• kevin-schaefer

February 12, 2019 at 11:31 am

That’s great Halsey. Yeah I know others with SMA and other disabilities who started out as volunteers, and then eventually acquired paid positions.

• adnan-hafizovic

February 12, 2019 at 10:34 am

We all have little wishes and Halsey I have similar wishes like you specially I wish to have family,one or two kids and nice wife.

• kevin-schaefer

February 12, 2019 at 11:32 am

Very cool. Yeah it’s good to set goals like this.