SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Mentally Preparing for Winter

• Mentally Preparing for Winter

Posted by alyssa-silva on November 28, 2022 at 2:30 pm

I can feel it coming. The winter blues are definitely sneaking up on me.

Once Daylight Savings Time hits, I slowly start becoming a hermit. Where I live, the sun sets around 4:30 in the afternoon. And because I live in a woodsy area, the sun goes behind the trees by noon which doesn’t help my seasonal affective disorder (SAD). I’m a solar-powered soul and really start to feel sluggish at this time of year.

Do you ever feel this way too? What are some ways you combat SAD and the shorter days?

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 4 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • dennis-turner

November 30, 2022 at 7:36 am

Yes! But I have found a short period of time where the sun comes into my front hall and I sit inside in full sunlight for the 20 minutes it hits that spot. I can almost feel my solar batteries recharging.

In a few days I know that patch will be gone, so yeah, that’s a thing.

• alyssa-silva

November 30, 2022 at 6:13 pm

I felt joy just reading that. Sounds lovely. Theres’s a spot in my house where I can get sunlight for about 5 minutes, and it’s everything to me during the winter. Or at least for now until the sun moves.

• deann-r

December 5, 2022 at 10:32 am

Sometimes I feel like a cat seeking the warm sunny spots. Have you tried any of the SAD lights on the market? Curious if they help since I have a couple plants that thrive under daylight lights.

• alyssa-silva

December 5, 2022 at 5:37 pm

I really wanted SAD lights to work for me, but they triggered my vertigo surprisingly. Of course, different motions are what cause vertigo, but I also have light sensitivity that triggers it as well. Something to do with vestibular migraines.

• blake-watson

December 5, 2022 at 5:49 pm

For some reason winter is less depressing than summer to me. Something about it makes me feel cozy—I guess the wrapping up to stay warm. It has this mysterious, magical quality that makes me feel creative.

Summer where I live is icky and humid and buggy and I don’t like it. ????

But fall will always be my BFF. ????

• dennis-turner

December 5, 2022 at 7:20 pm

Blake, do i remember you live in Texas where it is very hot for much of the year?  Come on to the northeast and you don’t need to roast for much of the year.

(I have a couple kids that live in Texas so I aways tease them when they complain)

• blake-watson

December 5, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Close! I live in Mississippi. It gets pretty warm here. I would never last in the northeast, though. I already have to keep a space heater on my desk to keep my cold SMA hands functioning pretty much all year around.

• alyssa-silva

December 6, 2022 at 7:19 pm

Yeah, my muscles and I would gladly take a Mississippian winter any day. ???? I agree that the summers down there are awful though. I don’t blame you. Fall is my favorite season too because the weather is perfect here. Well, at least the beginning of fall is.