SMA News Forums Forums SMA News Today Multimedia SMA News Today’s YouTube The Morale Monologue #15 – Cost Comparison Between Spinraza And ZOLGENSMA

• The Morale Monologue #15 – Cost Comparison Between Spinraza And ZOLGENSMA

Posted by michael-morale on January 2, 2019 at 7:00 am

https://youtu.be/1FzsQARUpZs

In this episode of the Morale Monologue, I’m going to show a cost comparison between Biogen’s drug Spinraza and Avexis’s drug ZOLGENSMA. When Biogen introduced Spinraza back in late 2017, the media focused much of their attention on the cost of this treatment versus the benefits that it would have for those of us who suffer from Spinal Muscular Atrophy.

Now that Avexis appears to be close to getting their new treatment, ZOLGENSMA, approved as the second FDA treatment for SMA, they too are facing the same questions and backlash from the media. My cost comparison will show the amount of dollars that have been spent on Spinraza, and compare these numbers with the numbers that are estimated to be spent with ZOLGENSMA, once it’s approved. I also try to answer the question as to whether or not those of us that are on active treatment with Spinraza will be able to receive ZOLGENSMA.

Be sure to subscribe to the SMA News Today YouTube channel so that you don’t miss an episode of this vlog, and you can also connect with me right here on the forums page.

deann-r replied 5 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • adnan-hafizovic

January 3, 2019 at 10:29 am

It is good that have more option for treatment,but it is unhuman that these cures are so much expensive,because it isn’t every country in the world rich like USA.People with SMA don’t live only in USA.

• deann-r

January 5, 2019 at 8:28 am

Hopefully as more treatments become available, current treatments will go down in cost making them more accessible worldwide.  Maybe wishful thinking, but I really hope that to be the case.

• adnan-hafizovic

January 6, 2019 at 9:48 am

DeAnn you are totaly right,but in all world we must fight and looking more rights for people with disability.

• deann-r

January 6, 2019 at 11:16 am

Yes, always keep fighting!