SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Raising Awareness of SMA Motivation Monday: Humorous Interactions and SMA

• Motivation Monday: Humorous Interactions and SMA

Posted by kevin-schaefer on January 13, 2020 at 11:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend. For today’s Motivation Monday topic, check out my latest column here.

Often, we spend a lot of time in disability communities talking about the more frustrating conversations and interactions we have with people. It’s important that we discuss these scenarios, and especially that we educate others about ableism, so that they know to treat us normally.

At the same time, I think it helps to reflect on the more humorous interactions as well. I wrote about some of mine in this piece, and it was fun. Getting mixed up with Kevan Chandler was especially entertaining. I emailed him about it.

I’m sure you all have stories too, and I’d love to hear them! Anyone have any favorite funny SMA stories? People with SMA and parents/caregivers are welcome to share.

deann-r replied 4 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • deann-r

January 13, 2020 at 1:17 pm

Oh yes, you know the dog must be guiding us in our chairs. I’ve gotten that one too. As well as being confused with other individuals in wheelchairs. I chalk it up to folks being naive. As they get more exposure to situations they can learn. It sure can be funny though.