SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Motivation Monday: Journaling

• Motivation Monday: Journaling

Posted by kevin-schaefer on November 4, 2019 at 7:02 am

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend!

For today’s Motivation Monday topic, I wanted to talk about keeping a journal. In high school I started to journal regularly, and it’s always been a very cathartic form of expression for me. Just writing out my thoughts helped me get through some tough times, and it made me feel good no matter what was going on in my life.

Whether you’re a writer or not, journaling is something that anyone can do. There are no rules to it, and I think it’s especially helpful when you have a disability like SMA. Even now, I sometimes look back at old journal entries and blog posts so I can see the different stages of my journey.

Do any of you keep a journal? Do you find it beneficial?

halsey-blocher replied 4 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

November 4, 2019 at 6:55 pm

I don’t keep a journal, but I find writing/sharing my thoughts and feelings online and in my column to be cathartic as well. Any sort of creative expression is beneficial for my well-being, really.

• halsey-blocher

November 4, 2019 at 9:05 pm

I love journaling! I stopped for several years, and recently took it back up. I wish I hadn’t stopped. It’s really relaxing for me.

• deann-r

November 5, 2019 at 10:36 am

I’ve always loved the idea of journaling but find it difficult to do. In my mind I think journals should be written by hand in a book you tuck under your pillow. None of which I can manage myself. For some reason it seems less personal if I have to have someone go get it for me. Kind of the same with a computer screen, not very personal. Maybe I just have to shift my mindset.

• halsey-blocher

November 5, 2019 at 9:38 pm

That makes sense. Personally, I don’t mind having someone help me get it out although only a few people know where I keep mine. I’ve tried digital journal, but always end up going back to hand written ones. Like you said, it feels more personal and I enjoy it more.