SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Motivation Monday: Staying Hydrated

• Motivation Monday: Staying Hydrated

Posted by kevin-schaefer on September 21, 2020 at 11:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend.

Since my next Spinraza injection is Wednesday, I’m trying to be extra cautious about staying hydrated and eating healthy. I know it’s an obvious thing we should do with or without SMA, but it can be tedious sometimes. When you factor in getting to the bathroom or catheterizing, caregiver availability, and general scheduling, it can be tough to drink enough water daily. For me, I have to make sure someone is available to empty my catheter throughout the day. Also, I try to keep a cup of water within reach when I’m working.

Do you have any tips or tricks for staying hydrated during the day?

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

September 22, 2020 at 10:34 am

Sorry, don’t have a good solution for you.  At my last Spinraza injection my urine protein levels were elevated so was told to hydrate more.  Pee math doesn’t equate with that though, so I usually opt for being dehydrated.

• alyssa-silva

September 22, 2020 at 11:51 am

I am my own worst enemy when it comes to hydration lol. But I gotta admit… one time I went for spinraza and was super dehydrated. And it was honestly my most painful procedure yet. I will NEVER make that mistake again.