SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology My Machines and Me

• deann-r

February 27, 2019 at 8:15 am

I have to admit I’m a self diagnosed techaholic.  If there’s a gadget out there that could make my life easier I want to try it.  With that being said I totally get where you’re coming from.  I’ve learned that I’ll survive just fine without watching the latest episode of my favorite reality show.  If I don’t respond to a text within minutes the world will still go round.  In the summer I’m much less connected to technology, but still I’d be up a creek if the apocalypse came and the power grid went down.

• kevin-schaefer

February 27, 2019 at 11:00 am

Oh I hear ya. I get anxious too when I’m unable to respond to a text or email right away, as I usually do. But it really does help me to have more of a balance.

• ryan-berhar

February 28, 2019 at 12:10 am

I think I relate to this, but it extends far beyond just technology for me. This is probably going down somewhat of a rabbit hole, but I think it’s relevant. Basically, I’m tired of the monotony of my life. I’ve lived in the same area of the same city for 23 years, so I’m tired of seeing the same roads, buildings, trees etcetera. To be clear, I love my family  and friends dearly, but I’m tired of seeing and working with the same people every single day. I live a monotonous life. Now does that include technology? Sure. There are times when I wish I could just get lost in the woods somewhere with no technology. Overall, though, the benefits of technology far outweigh the downsides.

• deann-r

February 28, 2019 at 10:29 am

Oh, I can relate Ryan.  Even though I live on my own I live in the same town I was born.  It’s funny, for my last class reunion I was on the list for classmates they couldn’t locate. Obviously they didn’t try very hard. I have the same last name, live in the same town and even have a landline so am listed in the phone book.

I do think that for those of us feeling stuck in a rut technology can be used to help combat that feeling.  First we can use it as a source of entertainment.  Second we can use technology as a learning resource.  Maybe even to help us change our situation.  Third it can be used as a social tool as with Kevin showing off his robotic arm.

Even with all of those benefits getting lost in the woods tech free does sound enticing.  As long as it’s in the summertime.

• ryan-berhar

February 28, 2019 at 9:34 pm

That’s really stupid. And yes, I agree.

• kevin-schaefer

March 5, 2019 at 1:03 pm

Echoing what Ryan said, that’ messed up about your high school reunion.

• adnan-hafizovic

February 28, 2019 at 11:50 am

DeAnn when you mention how they’ve forgotten you for class reunion,that’s the problem we face, that many people think we do not need to have a social life. Even those who organized the party probably thought that you died.