SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA My Reflections On Aquatic Therapy

• katie-elizabeth-napiwocki

May 10, 2019 at 11:15 am

Hey, Kevin!  I enjoyed this column very much and I especially appreciate how you drive home the notion that experiencing  progress makes the time, effort and commitment all worthwhile.

Does your aquatic PT take place in a pool with warm water?  I used to do aquatic PT from the time I was a toddler until the end of high school, but my therapist moved and the aquatic center closed.  Over the years, I’ve yet to find a therapeutic pool with warm enough water to avoid tense muscles and shivering.  Thoughts?

Thank you for a great column!

• kevin-schaefer

May 11, 2019 at 11:55 am

Thanks Katie!

Fortunately, the clinic I go to does a great job keeping the pool warm. It’s pretty essential when it comes to quality water therapy. I hope you can find a clinic that works for you! Thanks for the feedback.

• mike-huddleston

May 12, 2019 at 10:35 am

Hey Kevin –

Nice article.  I believe I mentioned before I do aqua therapy weekly since October 2016.  I was previously doing land appointments every other week.  Those are now also weekly.  Definitely a high light of my week, especially in the pool.  The progress in the pool has been significant since starting Spinraza in May 2018.  My home exercise regimen has also increased in frequency and duration.  I’m fortunate that I’m partnered with an excellent PT who shares my goals and is guiding me toward those objectives.

Also agree the temperature of the water makes a huge difference.  Katie, I’m hopeful you’re able to find a pool that works for you.  I’m fortunate mine is less than 10 miles away.

• kevin-schaefer

May 12, 2019 at 1:51 pm

Hey Mike! Great to hear from you. How’ve you been?

Yeah, it’s definitely a highlight of my week as well. Just curious, what kind of goals are you setting for yourself? For me, it’s mainly just loosening the muscles in my arms and legs. I’ll see what happens as my Spinraza treatments continue, but I don’t think too far into the future. What kind of things are you and your PT focusing on?