SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA My Weekly Journal – 08/19/19 Through 08/25/19

• My Weekly Journal – 08/19/19 Through 08/25/19

Posted by michael-morale on August 26, 2019 at 3:00 pm
    What a crazy and hectic week! My caregivers that live with me left on Tuesday for their family vacation, and I have a temporary caregiver living with me until they return. Last year, I had a bad experience with the temporary caregivers that I used. When my caregivers returned from their vacation, I was admitted to the hospital two days later with pneumonia. Luckily, the caregiver that is with me now is extremely sweet and everything is working out great. Who knows, I may not have to go to the hospital this year. YAY ME!! My work schedule at BioNews Services is keeping me extremely busy, so idle time is not necessarily a problem that I have to deal with.

When I went for my workout on Tuesday, we did all of my normal stretching and balance exercises. Emily’s physical therapy student, Lexi, got to do the majority of my exercises with me. Since Lexi had never transferred me from my wheelchair before, she observed how Emily and Vikki did it this week. In two weeks, she will assist Emily in all of the transfers.
    When we started my balance exercises, Emily was behind me and Lexi stood in front of me. For some reason, I was having quite a bit of difficulty keeping my balance this week, especially when they would pull me backwards. I usually don’t have too much difficulty, but this week, it just felt like I wasn’t on my game. After Emily finished all of the perturbations, she and Lexi switched positions and Lexi began doing them. While I thought that Lexi would go easy on me, I was wrong. She worked me out just as hard as Emily did. By the time we finished all my balance exercises, I was huffing and puffing like an old man that just ran the Boston Marathon.
    Emily and Vikki then laid me down on my back and we began my stretching exercises on my legs, hips, knees, ankles and feet. Emily did notice that my legs were a lot less tight and rigid this week than they were two weeks ago when we worked on the therapy table. I guess there is no rhyme or reason as to why one week is better than the other. While I wasn’t too thrilled about my balance exercises, I’m still anxious to see how I do the next time I’m on the table. Hopefully things will go better. Emily told me not to worry about it, and said that it probably would be better next time.

I’m also happy to report that Emily’s third article for the SMA News Today HCP site was published on Tuesday. She wrote about lower extremity exercises for people with SMA. Since I have severe muscle and nerve damage in my right hip, the primary focus of this article was on how we are doing these exercises.

In this week’s video, I’m sharing the video that I did for my Emily, and it involves the proper and safe way to transfer a person with SMA. Click HERE to view my video.

I’ve updated the flash briefings that I do for BioNews Services. Click HERE to go to the flash briefings.

I hope that all of you had a fantastic week. Do something for yourself this upcoming week that will make you a better person. God bless you and I’ll see you in a few weeks.

michael-morale replied 4 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.