• Neocate By Mouth

Posted by alyssa-silva on October 20, 2021 at 11:00 am

Weird question, but here it goes. I know Neocate is a formula used for g-tubes but has anyone taken it orally? My friend was just telling me that she drank it for 3 years because it was the only thing she could stomach at the time. Quite honestly, I’m at a point where my stomach gets upset with just about anything I feed it, so I’d be willing to give this a shot. Plus, I hear the amino acid diet is great for people with SMA.

I asked my nutritionist about this years ago, and she said the flavor was absolutely disgusting and I wouldn’t like it. My friend confirmed the gross flavor as well, truthfully, this doesn’t bother me. I’m just looking for ways to get more nutrition without my stomach getting angry at me. Desperate would be a good word to describe how I feel right now lol.

deann-r replied 2 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • deann-r

October 22, 2021 at 11:55 am

I haven’t used that specific formula, but most of the ones I’ve tried said they were vanilla flavored. I never actually tried them by mouth though. They tended to have a smooth but creamy consistency, so I’m thinking they’d be easy to swallow. For lack of better wording they burped the aftertaste of soggy Wheaties if that’s any help. There’s gotta be some nutritional supplements that would be easy on your stomach…