SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA On Hiring New Caregivers

• halsey-blocher

February 14, 2019 at 9:38 pm

I can very much relate to being guarded with new caregivers! It is always strange to have to trust someone new with so many aspects of your life! And I can also relate to new caregivers being terrified of hurting me. It always takes a few weeks – sometimes months – for a new caregiver to fully realize that I am not a china doll, and they will in fact have to tug a bit to get my arm through the sleeve.

• kevin-schaefer

February 15, 2019 at 4:34 pm

Right?! It’s like our muscles are sensitive, but we can still be moved without breaking something lol.

• ryan-berhar

February 14, 2019 at 11:43 pm

Kevin, how much did you pay for the shoutout? Haha

• kevin-schaefer

February 15, 2019 at 4:35 pm

Shhh. I was hoping someone wouldn’t notice.

• deann-r

February 15, 2019 at 11:08 am

What I really resonated with is the relief of the other caregivers when you finally find someone.  Like with Alyssa’s parents my other PCA’s and even my Mom are more than willing to fill in the gaps, but it gets to be a lot.  I’m sure they’re glad to get back to their normal schedules as I’m very happy to be back to my routine even if I have to go through it step by step.

• kevin-schaefer

February 15, 2019 at 4:38 pm

Absolutely. I had been without a Saturday morning caregiver for a while, and I always felt guilty when my dad had to get me up and ready. It’s a huge relief now that this is taken care of.