• Posted by aimee on July 14, 2023 at 2:27 pm

I can’t believe I’m just now asking for advice on this now that we’re several months into the game, but how do y’all handle menstrual cycles? My daughter’s pediatrician suggested the Seasonale birth control pill so that she’ll only have a few a year, but I don’t really want to start that right now (she’s only 12). So far what seems to work best is disposable underwear, but getting them up without making a mess has been difficult. (She can’t tolerate tampons). She’s been homeschooled for a few years and is interested in the option of going back to public, but I wouldn’t even begin to know how they’d deal with it there. I would appreciate any tips you can share, and if you’re not comfortable sharing it in a public space, please email me! Thanks in advance!

tracy-odell replied 9 months, 2 weeks ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

July 14, 2023 at 2:55 pm

Hi Aimee. Have you tried period underwear? They’re leakproof and absorb moderate to heavy periods. I’ve never used them (I was on the pill for a while but now I just use pads), but I hear great reviews about these. They’re adaptive too. 🙂

https://liberare.co/products/adaptive-boyleg

• aimee

July 15, 2023 at 6:58 pm

She has some that she uses on lighter days (still with a pad or pantiliners). Thank you for the recommendation!

• micaela-macdougall

July 14, 2023 at 4:18 pm

For what it’s worth, I’ve been on birth control since I was 12 (now 28), and I’ve never regretted it. The few times I’ve had a period were very difficult. I needed to be lifted by a person (not a hoyer lift), or really two people, when I needed to change my pad – that task was often beyond the abilities of my aides in public school, so my parents would end up stopping by my school once or twice a day. Maybe period underwear would have helped, but I wasn’t aware of it at the time.

I personally would recommend trying out whatever options your daughter feels up to (pads, underwear, etc.) Once she knows what those experiences are like, then talk to her about what being on the pill is like, and ask her what she would choose to do. This could be an opportunity to transition into her making her own decisions about her body – even if she doesn’t have the last word, it could be a good growing experience for her preference to be a factor in this decision. And don’t forget, she can always try the pill and stop if it’s not a good fit.

• aimee

July 15, 2023 at 7:03 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience! I actually think it’s really cool that she’s starting to be old enough to make decisions like that. It takes a lot of pressure off me as a mom when I can just ask her things like “do you feel like wearing your AFOs?” Or “Do you need some ibuprofen?”. Making decisions is not my strong suit, especially when it comes to another person, so I love that she can make some of those decisions for herself now. I have definitely discussed the birth control option with her and told her that it’s something we can consider if her pain or flow are too much to handle.

• deann-r

July 14, 2023 at 9:57 pm

Thanks for asking this question. It’s a big topic with lots of opinions that sometimes gets shied away from.

I second the birth control option. In a day and age where not having your period is an option, I’m all for it. It was miserable for me in school. I wasn’t comfortable with tampons either and they didn’t have the period panties and other options they do now. If I remember right I started birth control to stop my period at 17 and wish I had known about it from the get go. Totally a personal decision though. Curious, what is your hesitation? Would you feel the same if they called it period blocker rather than contraception? Another thing to consider is that some of the SMA treatments require being on birth control. Something to discuss with your doctor.

One tip when using pads, I liked two lined up. One pad in the middle and one towards the back to help reduce the mess pulling down pants on heavy days. Not always the most comfortable but more effective.

• aimee

July 15, 2023 at 7:08 pm

Thanks so much for your input! Hearing other individuals’ experiences with this is really helpful. I’m not opposed to birth control on any moral grounds and it doesn’t bother me that it’s contraceptive. I’ve taken it most of my life (started when I was young because of awful period cramps) and haven’t had many negative side effects. I have noticed though that when I’ve gone through times of not taking it, I feel better physically and more “myself”. I also have anxiety and depression and wonder sometimes if taking the pill contributes to that. Can I ask, what brand do you take? Has it stopped your cycles altogether?

• deann-r

July 16, 2023 at 10:17 pm

I do the depo shot. Personally I don’t have side effects, but I know others who do. There is a bone density warning with prolonged use, so another factor to consider. Knock on wood, I haven’t had my period for years. Again, I know others who have different experiences. Nice thing is there are options.

• aimee

July 15, 2023 at 7:11 pm

Thanks for the responses so far! She has MDA camp in a few weeks and is scheduled to be on her period then. I’m scrambling wondering if there’s any way we can put it off… I was actually going to try the Seasonale for a month or two but when I went to pick it up the pharmacy was out of stock, and now it’s too late in her cycle to start. Her doctor also mentioned the Depo shot as an option, but I’m thinking that it’s probably too late into the month to do that as well. Plus from what I’m reading, it seems that the shot takes about a year to make your periods stop. Any experiences with that?

• tracy-odell

July 19, 2023 at 7:20 am

I used Depo-Provera from age 12-21, every 6 months to avoid “breakthroughs.” Check to make sure it won’t halt development of her breasts. I started gaining weight at the same time. Every high weight I attained became my body’s new “setpoint.” I’ve learned it’s best to keep weight to a healthy low. Depo is not good for birth control, since you’re fertile as it begins to wear off. And you won’t know when it’s wearing off until it does.