SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Preparing for Inclement Weather When You Have SMA

• Preparing for Inclement Weather When You Have SMA

Posted by kevin-schaefer on September 11, 2018 at 7:00 am

If you’ve seen on the news, here on the east coast we’re getting ready for Hurricane Florence to strike. It’s supposed to be pretty bad, and while I do hope it doesn’t hit us too hard, we do have to prepare. My parents have already said that if we lose power we’ll stay at a hotel. With all of the equipment I have and depend on, it’s difficult for us to function without electricity.

The biggest advice I have for other SMA individuals and families is to gather your essentials when a situation like this comes up. Whether it’s feeding tubes, BiPAP machines, etc., have all of that equipment ready to go. Also does anyone use generators for when your power goes out? We are looking into getting one soon.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • deann-r

September 11, 2018 at 9:30 am

Although we don’t live anywhere close to hurricanes, I agree a generator wouldn’t be a bad idea.  My sister has one because their basement would  flood if their power was out and sump pump wasn’t running.  Like you though, if our power was out too long I’d just go elsewhere.  Of course inclement weather could hinder being able to do that.

Stay safe!

• kevin-schaefer

September 11, 2018 at 11:55 am

Thanks! Yeah we went ahead and booked the hotel. Better safe than sorry. I’ll probably do a post-storm column later to talk about the whole experience.

• ryan-berhar-2

September 11, 2018 at 11:31 am

I live in Bend, Oregon, where nothing ever happens lol. So we’re not used to those types of threats. However, you may remember a power outage I posted about here a couple months ago. It was at an awkward early morning hour, so i do know the feeling.

• kevin-schaefer

September 11, 2018 at 11:57 am

Yeah they’re never fun. A couple years ago we were without power for close to a week, and I was still in college at the time. At least now I work from home and it’s not as much of a hassle.