SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Quarantined Birthday

• Quarantined Birthday

Posted by alyssa-silva on October 7, 2020 at 11:00 am

Have you celebrated your birthday in quarantine? I’m turning the big 3-0 this month, and while I don’t feel like doing much celebrating these days, I still want to do something.

My birthday always happens to be like that first COLD day of fall in Rhode Island. But doing things outdoors are basically my only option. Should I invite a couple of friends over to my backyard anyway? Tell them BYOB— bring your own blanket? Is there something innovative you’ve done and could suggest?

Last year, I jokingly threw a big “not yet 30” birthday, and I’m so glad I did because at least I got one big birthday celebration. Who would have thought back then we’d end up here?

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • deann-r

October 7, 2020 at 8:53 pm

For my 30th I had a big bash.  Big birthdays when you have SMA are significant and worthy of celebration. I’m glad you had the opportunity to celebrate last year, but stinks you can’t celebrate this milestone the way you want.  Will your projector come in time? Maybe you could do something with that. Can you do a bonfire if it’s chilly? I still like your deck heater idea.

• lisa

October 8, 2020 at 3:26 am

For my quarantined birthday, i lit some candles, prepped a lovely meal and played a birthday playlist of songs i have liked and listened to since my childhood- it was v v different- but extremely special

• alyssa-silva

October 9, 2020 at 9:50 am

Yes DeAnn. The projector is here! I probably will have my dad set that up in time for birthday festivities. I’m definitely okay with doing something low key. It doesn’t have to be a rage to be meaningful haha.

I’ve had a couple of ideas since posting this. 1) I’m going to do an adult cake smash photoshoot! It’s kind of just an excuse to be silly, but my cousin is a photographer and it’s a great way to have some fun social distancing style. Because I can’t smash the cake myself, I’ve recruited my niece and nephew (1 and 3 years old) to smash it in my face!

2) I’m really struggling this season because of how much I love it and how little I’m able to do in quarantine. I spoke with my parents and they said I can turn our backyard into a pumpkin patch. So I’ll send one of my PCAs to Walmart to buy a TON of pumpkins and hay bails and cute lawn fall decor to dress up the yard. A birthday present to myself haha.