SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Remote Controlled Outlets

• tracy-odell

May 31, 2019 at 7:31 am

I love my remote-controlled outlets! I have them plugged into lights right now, which is great because if people forget to turn them off before they leave, I can do it myself and save a little electricity. Also, if it gets dark before people arrive, I don’t have to wait for them in the dark. At Christmas time I had the Christmas tree lights plugged in so I could voice command to turn them on and off. My sister who also has SMA has a fan plugged into it. I’m also planning to get electric window blinds that I can plug into that as well. I’m not sure how it will work with the door opener, but I plan to experiment with that as well.

• deann-r

May 31, 2019 at 9:27 am

Love mine as well. Although I’m using smart sockets that work with Alexa more often I still use the remote outlets. I have my modem plugged into one so I can reset it as needed myself. I have a wax melt pot plugged into one. I also use one for my door opener now that I have it voice activated so I can turn that part off overnight or when I’m not around for security purposes.

Tracy, they make electric widow blinds? Have you checked into them at all?

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    June 1, 2019 at 11:15 am

Can someone explain what these are and how these work?

Thanks

• kevin-schaefer

June 2, 2019 at 2:49 pm

Hey Izzy, these devices can do things like control light switches with a remote. Personally, I prefer Amazon Alexa technology, but these work well too.

• deann-r

June 2, 2019 at 7:58 pm

Basically you plug these sockets into any outlet, then whatever you plug into them can be turned off and on with a remote. What Kevin’s referring to basically works the same except instead of controlling with a remote you can use your voice with the Alexa device.