SMA News Forums Forums SMA News Today Multimedia SMA News Today’s YouTube Ryan’s Robotics Episode 5: Modifying My Suction Machine

• deann-r

May 30, 2019 at 10:38 am

Very clever! I’ve used the light switch trick on other things too. Works great. I’m using smart sockets more often now though. Great idea to use the bottle to allow the arm to grasp it better.

• kevin-schaefer

May 30, 2019 at 11:54 am

Great video! Figuring out adaptations like this has been one of my favorite parts of having a JACO arm. I’m glad you were able to figure out how to make your suction machine sessions a little easier.

• ryan-berhar

May 30, 2019 at 5:31 pm

Thanks guys!

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    June 1, 2019 at 12:57 pm

Very interesting. I need to use the suction approximately every 5 minutes since I cannot physically swallow with the help from my mother or carers. This could prove very useful for people like myself although I’m not sure that it will work with deep throat suctioning.

• ryan-berhar

June 3, 2019 at 7:06 pm

It would be quite tedious to do every five minutes, as it takes a minute or so to complete the task. I imagine it would still be a great ability for you to have, however. I’m not really sure what deep throat suctioning is. When I had pneumonia regularly as a child, I had  “deep suctioning” at the hospital which meant they put a tube up my nose and down into my lungs. I assume you’re referring to something else?