SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA The SMA News Today Podcast Episode 24: Roundtable Discussion On Caregiving

• The SMA News Today Podcast Episode 24: Roundtable Discussion On Caregiving

Posted by kevin-schaefer on January 21, 2019 at 8:00 am

In this episode of the SMA News Today Podcast, Michael Morale and I talk about our experiences with hiring and managing caregivers. Whereas Michael talks about having live-in caregivers who work with him around the clock, I have mine come on nights and mornings throughout the week.

The process of finding good caregivers can be stressful, and as such we each provide tips and answer commonly asked questions about this subject. We also share both positive and negative experiences we’ve had with caregivers over the years, and talk about what we’ve learned.

Let me know your thoughts in the comments, and be sure to subscribe to the podcast for more conversations and interviews like this. All episodes are available on iTunes, Spotify, SoundCloud, and here on our website at http://www.smanewstoday.com.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

January 21, 2019 at 2:07 pm

Have to say I’m certainly not as cautious as Michael in regards to hiring caregivers.  When I hire PCA’s I just have them come to my home.  The first time I did schedule to meet elsewhere, but I found if they didn’t show up it was a waste of time.  Also if I liked them I would have to set up another meeting at my house.  I like just having them come to my home so they can get a feel of what I’m looking for from the get go.  As far as background checks, the agency I go through does it.  If there’s a minor offense, such as a DUI, I can still make the call.  In my situation I did allow a person who had a DUI to work with me and it worked out well.  She was upfront about the situation and I don’t have my PCA’s drive, so it wasn’t an issue.  Every situation is different though.

My first experience, other than MDA camp, was when Mom injured her back and needed help.  I think it was through the county.  In college I did go through an agency.  It was an experience for sure.  Now I go through an agency that allows me to choose the people and they do all the paperwork.  Wish I had more control over wages though.  I did have to fight with the county to get the hours I needed.  I get funded through the CADI Waiver in my state.

Good tips regarding working with caregivers.  Luckily I’ve only had a couple bad situations.  One piece of advice I have is to set your expectations from the start.  It’s hard to change something after the fact.  My longest term PCA has been with me over 14 years.  I also have one that should be approved to start any day now.

• kevin-schaefer

January 23, 2019 at 12:51 pm

DeAnn, I’m the same way. I go through agencies as well, and I like having caregivers and nursing reps come to my house so they can see my setup and equipment, and because it’s more convenient for me. But I think it’s good that people like you and I and Michael have different perspectives and approaches toward hiring caregivers. I tell people, you do what works best for you.