SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Swimming Pool Lifts

• Swimming Pool Lifts

Posted by kevin-schaefer on June 12, 2019 at 3:00 pm

Summer is here! I don’t know about you all, but I’ve always loved swimming during this time of year.

For me, my parents became unable to lift me in and out of the pool years ago. It was a bummer, but fortunately I started going to water therapy in 2015. Now I’m in the pool every week, and I love it! The pool I go to has a built-in-ramp, and my physical therapist gets me in via a manual wheelchair. They have a built-in lift as well, but I prefer this transfer method.

Does anyone here go swimming during the summer? Do you go to a pool with a specialized lift?

kevin-schaefer replied 4 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • deann-r

June 13, 2019 at 11:27 am

How do you get transferred to the other chair? That’s one of the things that holds me back from trying it. I haven’t been in a pool for years.

• kevin-schaefer

June 13, 2019 at 11:39 am

They have an electric lift at the clinic I go to transfer me out of my chair. I know not every place has this setup, but I wish it were more commonplace.

• bob-heitzman

June 13, 2019 at 12:09 pm

I’d like to see one of the davit style pool chairs with just a spreader bar instead of (or addition to) a seat. That way you could use a sling for the transfer. I guess it might be hard to get the sling on properly in the water.

• kevin-schaefer

June 13, 2019 at 12:52 pm

That would be cool. And actually, it is doable to have a sling in the pool. When my physical therapist drives me into the pool in the manual chair each week, she just keeps the sling under me. This way, it’s still on the seat of the manual chair when I get out of the pool. It’s tricky to keep the sling in place, but it’s doable.