SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA The Importance of Finding Outlets

• kevin-schaefer

May 18, 2018 at 10:13 am

I need to get back into chess as well. My Dad and I played a lot when I was younger, and I know of at least one friend who still plays.

Aside from that my main hobbies are reading, watching movies, podcasting, listening to music and podcasts and discussing comics and pop-culture. I also did a lot of theatre growing up, and have been meaning to get back into that as well.

• michael-morale

May 19, 2018 at 8:48 am

I learned how to play chess when I was in junior high. I joined the chess club and after getting beat numerous times by opponents that only made 4 to 5 moves of their pieces, I quickly became discouraged and figured that this game was not for me. I kept forcing myself to play until I became quite good, but as I got older, many of the friends that I used to play with went on to other things. Chess and checkers were always fun games to play and I miss playing these games with my friends. While you can download these two games on the computer and even play with someone who’s playing on their computer, it’s not the same as playing with someone that you can make eye contact with.

Since I started my treatments for SMA, my YouTube channel and my other social media accounts are keeping me quite busy. These outlets allow me to share information and to help others who are going through the same daily challenges that I am. Even though I’ve been doing this for nearly 2 years, it still exciting to share information and to hear from others that are going through the exact same thing that I am.