SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Thinking of Moving Out

  • Thinking of Moving Out

    Posted by brianna-albers on April 30, 2021 at 7:00 am

    Hey y’all. Long story short, I’m thinking about moving out of my parents’ place — for my sake as well as theirs. I might be able to move in with friends but I’m not sure how caregiving would work. I don’t need someone all the time, and I have plenty of government assistance to cover the pay, but I just have no idea where to start. Any thoughts?

    deann-r replied 2 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • deann-r

    April 30, 2021 at 8:58 am

    Your best option might be to contact your county public health office. They can give you the different options that would suit your needs. One option is consumer directed services (I think) where you basically get a budget and work within those confines but you have pretty much complete control. It is a lot of work though. I go through an agency, but I found one that allows me to find my caregivers. They basically do all the paperwork. It’s definitely not easy, but worth it in my opinion.