SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA Thoughts on Covid Boosters

• Thoughts on Covid Boosters

Posted by deann-r on April 12, 2022 at 9:53 am

Let me preface this by saying this is not a vaccine debate.  If you’re not interested in the vaccine I respect your choice.  For those of you vaccinated with a booster, are you going to get an additional booster?  From my understanding they’re recommending it for those 50+ especially with risk factors.  Even though I don’t meet the age criteria I’m guessing I could get one anyway.  Even though I haven’t had any adverse effects I guess I’m not rushing out to get one.  My thought is waiting till fall.  Then again maybe waiting isn’t the best option.  I’ll be discussing it with my doctor but want your take on it.

micaela-macdougall replied 1 year, 12 months ago 7 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • jeremy

April 12, 2022 at 10:20 am

I’m not in a huge rush as I really don’t have respiratory issues and such and getting sick isn’t usually a big deal for me.  But I’ll probably get a second booster by the end of summer just to be safe (keeping an eye on effectiveness data coming in on how much a 4 shot helps, new variants, etc)…  Especially with many safety measures being lifted in most areas.  My default position currently is to stay as boosted as possible, as I see no downside.

• tracy-odell

April 12, 2022 at 1:10 pm

I will get boosters whenever recommended. I am due for my 2nd booster in June.

• anna

April 12, 2022 at 2:23 pm

I’ve been thinking about it too. I haven’t discussed it with my doctor yet, but I doubt I can get a 4th dose because where I live, they’re recommending it for those 70+, 60-69 with risk factors and the immunocompromised of any age. I don’t meet the age criteria for the first two categories, and I don’t think I fall in the third one either since it concerns cancer patients who are receiving treatment, people receiving immunosuppressive drugs, transplant recipients and patients with rheumatic diseases or renal failure. I wouldn’t mind waiting till fall, but I really have to go to a wedding in June. Of course, it’ll be held at an outdoor venue, but you never know what you can catch with so many people…

• jim-schneider

April 12, 2022 at 3:22 pm

Going on our first real vacation since Covid started in middle of June for 2 1/2 weeks.  Plan on getting the booster end of May so it fully effective by the time we leave.  I think it is smart to get it sooner rather than later if your planning on travel or going to any events where there will be crowds.  With SMA on board you shouldn’t have a problem getting access to a booster, just ask for it like you deserve it!

• alyssa-silva

April 12, 2022 at 7:44 pm

The booster took me down HARD the first time, so I’m in no rush. I got it in November and will try to wait as close to a year as I can. However, I say this as cases are on the rise and my state is the worst in the country right now. Ugh. So we’ll see how long it actually is until my next dose.

• anna

April 14, 2022 at 4:26 am

Just to make sure that I understand this correctly, in the US you can self-attest to your “high-risk” status without having to adduce any documentation, right? What if someone lies about having an invisible condition? Or is the second booster available for anyone who wishes to get it, irrespective of the CDC’s recommendations, so there’s no point in lying about it? I’m just being curious because in Greece I can only log in to the system through my doctor and, even so, I’m not sure I’ll get approval!

• deann-r

April 14, 2022 at 11:24 am

Anna, it kind of depends on where you live and how strict the guidelines are.  In the US, each state has their own rules.  Where I live I think you can just go into the pharmacy, answer a few questions and get the vaccine.  As long as a certain time period has passed they’ll allow a booster.  Proof of being “high-risk” isn’t required to my knowledge.  Since the suggested age is over 50 I might have to go through the clinic though.

On the news I heard about a guy in Germany getting 90 boosters so he could sell vaccination cards.  Someone at the vaccine clinic recognized him when he came back two days in a row.  There’s always someone who wants to cheat the system.  They didn’t disclose if he’s had any ill effects from it.

• anna

April 15, 2022 at 2:47 am

Thanks for taking the time to explain, DeAnn. I wonder why everything has to be so complicated here!

Yeah I remember that guy! Pretty lucrative business lol!

• micaela-macdougall

April 15, 2022 at 9:14 am

My pulmonologist (who has a lot of experience with SMA) has strongly recommended that my parents and I get a second booster, now that we are more than 4 months out from the first one.  So we are scheduling our shots for next week.

• alyssa-silva

April 28, 2022 at 10:50 am

Hey Micaela! Were you able to get the booster this week? If so, how are you feeling?

• micaela-macdougall

April 28, 2022 at 1:57 pm

Yes, I got it last Friday!  It knocked me out pretty hard, so today is the first day I’m feeling back to normal.