• rachel-markley

January 24, 2020 at 7:20 am

So easy! I think I’ve had it twice but the one I was old enough to remember (SPC in October) felt just like a regular surgery but I didn’t go to sleep scared to death of complications. I don’t remember a thing from the second they gave me drugs in pre-op to when I woke up. It was certainly easier to wake up from and I had zero complications. Also, get the SPC!

• deann-r

January 24, 2020 at 10:08 am

Spine fusion is a major major surgery, so yes very traumatic.  I’m not a fan of general anesthesia though because I had a bad experience when I had my gallbladder out.  When they intubated me I aspirated so woke up on a ventilator with aspiration pneumonia and they had trouble getting me off the vent.  So, if I need any procedures I try to see if they can do it under twilight.  I’ve had 3 or 4 procedures with twilight and haven’t had problems.  To be honest I’m not sure the difference between laughing gas & twilight sedation.  Possibly different drugs involved?  I’m sure if you discussed your concerns with the doctor they could ease your mind about it.

• rachel-markley

January 24, 2020 at 11:06 am

Gas is a totally different drug and your body will respond very differently. I don’t do well with gas either!

• brianna-albers

January 30, 2020 at 3:59 pm

Thank you both! I’ve scheduled an appointment with a urologist, but it’s not till May, so it won’t be for a while.