SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Vitamin D supplement

• Vitamin D supplement

Posted by alyssa-silva on November 11, 2020 at 11:17 am

Realistically, I should be taking a vitamin D supplement every day because my levels have always been low, but I’m not as disciplined as I should be about it. That being said, I need to take it more seriously than I have been.

Do you take a supplement? If so, do you mind sharing it with me? I take in everything orally, so my only stipulation is that it can’t be pills— they’re too hard to swallow. Also, I know I need about 2000IUs a day.

patrick-lenihan replied 3 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • deann-r

November 11, 2020 at 12:27 pm

I have a mental block when it comes to vitamin D suppliments. Probably one has nothing has to do with the other but about a month after starting taking it I had a kidney stone. Needless to say I prefer to get it naturally. At one time though I took these. They might not give you the amount you’re looking for though. No, it’s not the kind I blame for my kidney stone either.

• alyssa-silva

November 11, 2020 at 1:50 pm

I’ve taken those as well! Except mine were straight chocolate, no caramel. But yes. I’d rather take one of something with 2000 IUs than have to take 4 of these. At least it’s something to fall back onto.

• kip-troendle

November 11, 2020 at 3:05 pm

Have you tried taking a Vitamin D pill and breaking it into 2-4 pieces, then swallowing with a spoon or two of applesauce?  I used to get pills stuck, too.  Then I learned that little trick.  I take one 5000 IUs pill every 5 days.  If I take it more often, I get constipation.

• alyssa-silva

November 12, 2020 at 10:03 am

I haven’t tried that. I guess it would depend on how small the pieces were but it could be doable! Could I crush them? Also WOW— 5,000 IUs is a lot. Does that upset your stomach? That’s another problem I have with vitamin D. Well vitamins in general haha

• dennis-turner

November 12, 2020 at 6:22 pm

I am supposed to take one 1000mg each day. Fail. During the warm weather i sit outside as much as i can.

Can you take a softgel? With the slick covering they go down pretty easy.

Multivitamins on the other hand…

• alyssa-silva

November 13, 2020 at 9:42 am

Same here. I definitely take advantage of the sunlight when the weather is warm for my dose of vitamin D. I am not sure about a soft gel honestly. Again, I guess it would depend on how big it is.

I’m going to have to create a separate thread on multivitamins haha. Because that’s a wholeee another level…

• patrick-lenihan

November 13, 2020 at 4:10 pm

I buy vitamin D in liquid form and use a dropper to take the correct dosage.

• alyssa-silva

November 16, 2020 at 9:41 am

Do you mind sharing what you buy? Although I’m not sure that we have the same products in the United States.

• patrick-lenihan

November 16, 2020 at 6:10 pm

I use Source Naturals Vitamin D-3 Liquid Drops. They are made and sold in the USA and available  from Amazon.

• alyssa-silva

November 17, 2020 at 12:21 am

Thanks so much!

• alyssa-silva

November 20, 2020 at 10:15 am

Hey Patrick! How much of the Vitamin D do you take? I’m a little confused because the serving size online says 5ml but my bottle says 10? Right now I’m just trying to take 1000 IUs to introduce it to my stomach slowly, but I can’t figure out how much is in each serving due to the differing labels.

• patrick-lenihan

November 20, 2020 at 7:14 pm

I take 2000 IUs, which is 8 drops from the eye dropper that came with the bottle I that I buy. I suspect any dropper will suffice if your bottle didn’t come with one. You might want to try 4 drops to start.