SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology What are some tech items that make your life easier?

• What are some tech items that make your life easier?

Posted by alyssa-silva on December 5, 2023 at 2:51 pm

Slowly but surely tackling my list of Christmas gifts to buy this year. However, I can’t seem to figure out what I want for Christmas myself. I don’t need anything in particular this year, but I’m trying to think of some practical gifts I could ask for. 

Are there any cool tech items that make your life easier and you love? I think I’ll start here.

Val replied 4 months, 2 weeks ago 6 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • deann-r

December 8, 2023 at 9:27 am

Good question. My family struggles finding gifts for me. It’s hard for them to know what would actually be helpful. I don’t give lists either because I kind of enjoy seeing what they come up with on their own. It can be interesting to say the least.

Is there anything in particular you’re struggling with? Typically I try to identify a problem, then find if there’s a gadget that can offer a solution. On my wish list (even though I don’t make lists) is a towel warmer. I’m always cold after a shower and maybe a warm towel would be the ticket. Has anyone tried one?

• micaela-macdougall

December 8, 2023 at 2:38 pm

I got a towel warmer when I remodeled my bathroom last year. The one I have doesn’t make my towels noticeably hot (they don’t feel like they’re out of the dryer) – but it does stop them from feeling cold, which they used to. I really like it!

• alyssa-silva

December 10, 2023 at 9:29 pm

Wait, a towel warmer is a great idea! I hate showering because of how freezing cold I get. That’s so smart. Do you have a link to your towel warmer Micaela?

I have extremely limited hand and arm mobility and can only use my phone. So whatever gadget I get would have to come with an app; otherwise, I can’t use it. I can use Alexa too, but she’s temperamental and only understands me sometimes. Better for me to rely on apps because I’m attached to my phone and use Alexa as a backup.

• micaela-macdougall

December 11, 2023 at 8:58 am

Sorry, I can’t find the model I got.

I use a smart plug so I can turn it on and off with my phone – really easy to set up!

• alyssa-silva

December 11, 2023 at 10:56 am

No worries! Adding a smart plug is a great idea too.

• dennis-turner

December 12, 2023 at 8:25 pm

Last year my wife bought me a towel warmer from sharper image. I almost never use it, but it has saved me from shivering when I come in from the cold a few times.

• alyssa-silva

December 13, 2023 at 2:43 pm

That’s smart! Have you ever tried a heated blanket?

• Val

December 13, 2023 at 2:15 pm

Automatic (Alexa, remote) door opener for sliding and room doors.

Smart lights and motion switches.

Smart lock.

Cameras. Useful to check things not just bad guys.

Mouse pad with wireless phone charger – I hate cables 🙂

Massage seat.