SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA What do you use to combat dry skin?

• What do you use to combat dry skin?

Posted by alyssa-silva on October 30, 2023 at 9:51 am

Ever since becoming tube-fed, I’ve developed the driest alligator skin. And it’s only about to get worse with the dryness of winter coming. I’m curious if anyone else who uses a feeding tube has experienced this. Is it the formula I’m getting? Is something missing from my diet? 

More importantly, what do you use to combat dry skin? If you don’t use a feeding tube, I’d still love to know!

alyssa-silva replied 4 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • deann-r

October 31, 2023 at 9:35 pm

Can’t say if the tube has anything to do with it because my skin has always been dreadful. I’m already dealing with “winter skin” and it’s only October. Okay November in a few hours. Do you get plenty of water? For me I think extra hydration would be helpful, but I don’t have an SPC or anything. Pee math doesn’t equate with extra h2o.

Have you tried face masks? I do find them soothing. My favorite is the Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber Mask. Of course it’s a little pricey. I had a free sample and my skin loved it, so I bought a tub on Prime Day. The downfall is you have to rinse it off but it comes off easily with a damp wash cloth. Haven’t found a moisturizer that I love.

• alyssa-silva

November 1, 2023 at 9:23 am

I think I’m getting enough water. I’m definitely getting more hydration than before when I didn’t have my tube. I was always dehydrated back then but didn’t have the skin issue.

I have a face mask that makes my skin pretty happy. But the next day I’m back to my alligator ways. My arms are bad too, so I’m in search of a good moisturizer. I’m also questioning my diet too.

• tammy

December 12, 2023 at 4:37 pm

Try getting some aloe juice. Like the real deal pure organic kind. I get mine off Amazon. I’m sure you could put it right in your feeding tube. I don’t have a feeding tube but my skin does also get dry as hell. And I’m also not able to shower as well as non-disabled people can so I think that’s also part of my problem. Certain spots are harder to reach in the shower chair for the caregivers.

• alyssa-silva

December 13, 2023 at 8:58 pm

Omg aloe juice! I used to drink that years ago. There was some health benefit from it that I was amped about, but now I don’t remember what it was haha. But you just reminded me I used to drink it. I might try it again. My tube clogs so easily so I’ll have to drink it by mouth. Does it taste good? I don’t remember.