SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA When was the last time you cleaned your medicine cabinet?

• When was the last time you cleaned your medicine cabinet?

Posted by alyssa-silva on April 23, 2024 at 12:38 pm

April 19th was National Clean Out Your Medicine Cabinet Day. I swear there’s a day for everything nowadays. Anyway, it got me thinking about the last time I cleaned mine out. I store my meds in a drawer by my bed, and many of those meds are taken as needed. More often than not, one is always expired when I need to use it. That’s why I try to clean it out routinely. I also don’t want things getting dusty in there, either.

Though I think it’s a bit ridiculous that there’s a day for this, I’m thankful it reminded me to clean out my drawer. I guess that’s what it’s meant for.

When was the last time you cleaned your medicine cabinet?

alyssa-silva replied 3 days, 2 hours ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

April 30, 2024 at 10:05 am

Ha, I took expired medicine yesterday. It still worked. After I’ve been sick I usually go on a kick where I keep everything stocked for a while but it seems so wasteful having to throw out unused medicine and tough on the pocketbook. With Amazon and Walmart+ I don’t feel the need to have a huge stockpile anymore. What do you feel is important to keep on hand? I like to make sure I have my nebs in case I get sick. How often do you actually go through your drawer?

• alyssa-silva

May 1, 2024 at 10:30 am

Most of my meds are prescription PRNs, so I always have a drawer full of stuff. Nebulizers are definitely stocked. Zofran is a must-have for all my GI issues. Because of my chronic ear infections, I have every ear drop imaginable. Then I have OTC stuff like Tylenol, nasal spray, etc.

I have taken expired meds many times if I’m in a pickle. I guess that’s a sign I should clean out my drawer more. I probably do it once a year. What about you?