SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Working With Multiple Caregiving Agencies

• Working With Multiple Caregiving Agencies

Posted by kevin-schaefer on January 23, 2019 at 7:30 am

I can’t remember if I’ve asked about this before, but who here works with multiple caregiving agencies? My caregiver Randy and I have used the same one for a while, but they never seem to have enough employees, and one of the managers is pretty disorganized.

A family friend whose son has SMA recommended an agency to me recently, and I called them up last week. They were really receptive and explained their process for new clients, and I came away from the call pretty optimistic. I have an appointment with a nursing rep from this agency this morning, and if all goes well they will help me get set up with a Saturday morning caregiver. I’ve been trying to fill this slot for a while, and one of my new year’s resolutions was to get this finally taken care of, despite failed attempts in the past.

Again, I was just curious how many of you work with multiple agencies, and the pros and cons.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

January 23, 2019 at 12:35 pm

Update: this appointment went really well. Just based on meeting with this nursing rep and hearing her explain how her organization works, I like this agency a lot more than ones I’ve used in the past. They seem to treat their PCAs well, and they’re more selective about who they hire. I was impressed, and I’m supposed to have a caregiver come this Saturday. I’ll post here how it goes.

• deann-r

January 24, 2019 at 9:53 am

Glad to hear it went well with the agency.  I have a different agency for my PCA’s than I do for the nurse who comes once a month.  Kind of wish it was just one agency though because of the paperwork.  Agencies in my area can be kind of funny if you want to use more than one agency.  Almost like they feel the other agency will steal their employees.

• kevin-schaefer

January 24, 2019 at 11:31 am

The paperwork is a never-ending hassle indeed. Yeah, I see that kind of competitiveness here, which I find pretty ridiculous when it’s healthcare-related. There’s bureaucracy in any industry.

But yeah, I’m really hopeful about this one.