SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology World of Switches

• World of Switches

Posted by deann-r on December 3, 2020 at 9:15 am

I’m relatively new to the world of switches.  My new wheelchair has the power toggle in the most inconvenient place so the wheelchair guy plugged in a switch.  Granted it at least makes it functional, but I’m not crazy about it because it’s ultra sensitive and kind of large.  I know nothing about switches.  Are there options?  Where do I look?  What do I look for?  I’d also love to hear what other uses switches have.  Like could they be used to turn on a laptop?  I’m struggling with the power button being on the top left.

yvette-haas replied 3 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • yvette-haas

December 3, 2020 at 11:04 am

Hi DeeAnn,

Yes, the options with switches are pretty much limitless. Is there any chance you could tell me which model he gave you, so I could get a better idea of what you consider too sensitive? That way I can make suggestions (or make you a switch).

As for the question about the laptop…. You should post that to the ATMakers group on FB. Lmk if you would like a link.

• greg-sealey

December 3, 2020 at 3:27 pm

Hi DeeAnn,

Switches seem to be a necessary part of mobility living. For me, I have limited strength and limited range of motion.  So, I need switches close to my joystick so I can reach them without moving my hand.  I have 2 physical switches on my chair (Quantum Edge-3).  One switch turns my chair on and off as well as toggles through the four modes of the chair.  The second switch is unique in that through that one button I am able to control my phone, my hand warmer, and the headlights and taillights on my chair.

Yes, a switch can be used to control a laptop.  For Apple products (iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro) there is a feature Calle Switch Control.  A switch (button) on your wheelchair can be attached to a Bluetooth controller that is paired with your laptop.  With Switch Control enabled, you can do nearly anything on a laptop by simply pressing the button.

There are really endless types of buttons available.  Here’s a link to an Australian website that gives a good overview of what’s out there: http://www.tecsol.com.au/SwitchMicrolight.htm

• ronald-borgschulte

December 3, 2020 at 5:46 pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OVDxGMMS6I6ugoYIo9ww1fZOFWO9_oS2/view?usp=sharing

Here’s a list of switches and the amount of force required to activate each one.  You may want to replace your ultra-sensitive switch for one that requires more force.  Your wheelchair rep or therapist should have a few for you to try.

• deann-r

December 4, 2020 at 9:42 am

Thanks for the input everyone.  I’ll look into different options.   Yvette, I don’t see anything that indicates what switch it is.  I’ve tried attaching a photo if that helps.

• robert-stump

December 4, 2020 at 7:05 pm

DeAnn, that is the Micro Light Switch, one of the most sensitive switches out there.  I love those things!

• yvette-haas

December 9, 2020 at 11:34 am

Deann, yes, that is a Microlight switch, which is definitely a huge favorite for those who WANT sensitive. What size would you like it to be? Do you know where you will want it mounted?

• deann-r

December 9, 2020 at 1:38 pm

Robert I can certainly see where it would be useful, just not how I have it set up.  Yvette, I guess I don’t know how small they come, maybe like nickel size?  I would still probably mount it on the joystick.  Except I’d put it on the right hand side as opposed to the left where the power toggle is.  Open to suggestions.

• yvette-haas

December 10, 2020 at 12:06 pm

Deann, would you be able to message me on FB, or email, since I can’t seem to get this to let me know when others comment?