SMA News Forums Forums Fun and General Chat Would You Rather? Would You Rather – Travel Edition

• Would You Rather – Travel Edition

Posted by alyssa-silva on June 24, 2021 at 11:00 am

I feel like this is a decision many of us have had to make at some point in our lives— maybe just less exaggerated. So, I thought I’d ask here for your firsthand experience.

Would you rather travel by plane and risk your wheelchair getting damaged or go through the stress/hassle of traveling the same distance by car and get a flat tire?

Regardless, traveling isn’t easy when you’re disabled. I guess you just have to decide which is the lesser of the two evils. Traveling by car seems to make the most sense in my opinion, but I get carsick easily, so I think I’m taking that risk and going with plane. What about you?

dennis-turner replied 2 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • dennis-turner

June 25, 2021 at 1:32 pm

Although I have flown in the past, now that I need to use a chair all the time I would do a car.  When I drove, I have driven to Texas from Massachusetts several times to see my sons.

Perhaps now the next question would be how to sleep in a hotel bed since I now need a hospital bed with full power. My wife is my primary caregiver, but can’t lift me or even help me to sit up. A hoyer helps get me up, but is less than optimal when you are lying down.

• alyssa-silva

June 28, 2021 at 9:34 am

That’s a good point. I’m not too familiar with hoyer lifts but is there a kind you can take on a trip? Or, in this instance, do you prefer avoiding travel now altogether?

• dennis-turner

June 29, 2021 at 6:29 pm

My wife and I did take an overnight trip last month and brought my manual hoyer lift.  It broke into two heavy pieces, but my wife got it to work.

• deann-r

June 28, 2021 at 9:04 am

I won’t fly on a plane until I can stay in my chair, so I guess I’m dealing with a flat.

• alyssa-silva

June 28, 2021 at 9:35 am

Makes sense!!