Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Alyssa Silva
      Keymaster

I feel like this is a decision many of us have had to make at some point in our lives— maybe just less exaggerated. So, I thought I’d ask here for your firsthand experience.

Would you rather travel by plane and risk your wheelchair getting damaged or go through the stress/hassle of traveling the same distance by car and get a flat tire?

Regardless, traveling isn’t easy when you’re disabled. I guess you just have to decide which is the lesser of the two evils. Traveling by car seems to make the most sense in my opinion, but I get carsick easily, so I think I’m taking that risk and going with plane. What about you?

Dennis Turner
      Participant

Although I have flown in the past, now that I need to use a chair all the time I would do a car.  When I drove, I have driven to Texas from Massachusetts several times to see my sons.

Perhaps now the next question would be how to sleep in a hotel bed since I now need a hospital bed with full power. My wife is my primary caregiver, but can’t lift me or even help me to sit up. A hoyer helps get me up, but is less than optimal when you are lying down.

Alyssa Silva
        Keymaster

That’s a good point. I’m not too familiar with hoyer lifts but is there a kind you can take on a trip? Or, in this instance, do you prefer avoiding travel now altogether?

Dennis Turner
          Participant

My wife and I did take an overnight trip last month and brought my manual hoyer lift.  It broke into two heavy pieces, but my wife got it to work.

DeAnn R
      Keymaster

I won’t fly on a plane until I can stay in my chair, so I guess I’m dealing with a flat.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account