SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA Zolgensma and Covid vaccines

• Zolgensma and Covid vaccines

Posted by lupa-f on February 2, 2021 at 1:20 pm

This is probably above any of our pay grades to talk about, but some of the more recent COVID vaccine candidates are using adenoviruses as their vector to deliver the stuff to create an immune response (The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines don’t use adenoviruses). Zolgensma also uses an adenovirus to deliver the gene therapy. I believe the specific ones are different, AAV9 for Zolgensma and I know the Johnson&Johnson one uses 26. But might they both cause immune responses that affect each other? I think mothers pass some of their immune  system responses to children, so I’m wondering if those vaccines will cause issues for children that might need Zolgensma in the future (or even adults if it ever gets approved for that use).

I just thought this might be a concern for anybody involved with SMA. Maybe someone can get an expert to check into it?

deann-r replied 3 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • kelly-miller

February 2, 2021 at 4:26 pm

Lupa, I read something yesterday about the vaccines (some) using viruses to get where they need to go. I immediately thought of Zolgensma, but I couldn’t be sure my memory was from that or a book I’d read (I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy). Obviously it was real. I totally get what you’re saying about an immune response and it certainly sounds like it could be accurate. I just don’t have any background in biology to judge it with to say definitively. Good job though!

• alyssa-silva

February 3, 2021 at 9:58 am

That is a great point to bring up Lupa. I’m sure as time goes on and we learn more about the vaccines, there will be more definitive findings on this. But until then, it’s certainly something to keep in mind.

• deann-r

February 3, 2021 at 10:07 am

I’ve pondered this myself. In addition to that, I’ve wondered about the effectiveness of other vaccines using the same delivery method. If you develop antibodies maybe a booster won’t be as effective. I don’t really understand all of the science behind it. I thought I heard though that when infants get Zolgensma they have to do an antibody test. Also I think they have to do a steroid regimen in preparation, so maybe that would suppress any immune response. I’m no medical expert though, so definitely recommend talking to your doctor with questions or concerns. Unfortunately the science is so new, I don’t know how much knowledge is out there yet.