SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Disability in Media 2023 Book Club Announcement

• 2023 Book Club Announcement

Posted by deann-r on December 27, 2022 at 10:51 am

Hey everyone! Let’s make it official. Throughout the upcoming year we’re going to select books that we can enjoy reading and talking about together. We’ll announce the selection and give you time to read it before opening the discussion. Our first selection of 2023 was recommended by fellow forum member Blake. Here is a link to his post. The First Thing About You by Chaz Hayden is a young adult novel featuring a young man on a journey of friendship and self-discovery. Filled with interesting storylines, endearing characters and relatable moments I’m sure you’ll enjoy it as much as I did. Discussion will open January 17th.

As a special treat I have the opportunity to video chat with Chaz tomorrow! If you have any questions or comments for him, be sure to let me know below. I’ll be happy to pass them along. Stay tuned to catch our discussion on the YouTube channel. He’ll also pop in on our discussion in January so be sure to jot down your questions. Happy reading!

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 3 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • ben-mattlin

December 27, 2022 at 5:07 pm

What about books by authors with SMA?
    I’m one. So is Alice Wong, Shane Burcaw, and…

• deann-r

December 27, 2022 at 9:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Ben. We have featured Shane’s books in the past and look forward to discovering more talented authors. I hope you’ll join us in reading this selection. Chaz’s firsthand experience living with SMA allows a perspective that I feel is very relatable.

• alyssa-silva

December 27, 2022 at 5:11 pm

Hi Ben. Great ideas! Chaz has SMA as well. We’ll definitely start the book club off with authors who have SMA. We would love to read your books and set up a Q&A with you if you’re interested.

• blake-watson

December 29, 2022 at 12:11 am

Cool, looking forward to this! Is it going to be a text-based thing or something like a Zoom meeting?

• alyssa-silva

December 29, 2022 at 7:10 pm

Text threads for now, but hoping to roll out video meetups soon! ????

• kathryn

December 30, 2022 at 2:26 am

I’ll have to check this book out. I would love for yall to read my book, The Immortal Detective. It’s on Amazon.

• deann-r

December 30, 2022 at 11:54 am

Thanks! We’ll definitely check it out. In the meantime we hope you enjoy this selection and can’t wait to hear what you think about it.

• alyssa-silva

January 5, 2023 at 9:37 am

Hi all! Just a reminder we’ll start discussing “The First Thing About You” by one of our members, Chaz Hayden, on January 17th. I finished reading it a few days ago and really enjoyed it! It’s a quick and easy read that will keep you captivated throughout. Looking forward to hearing what you think.

PS- You can grab the book here.