SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Disability in Media Anyone Watch Ordinary Joe?

• Anyone Watch Ordinary Joe?

Posted by alyssa-silva on October 13, 2021 at 11:00 am

There‘s a new series on NBC called Ordinary Joe— ever heard of or watched it?

I would explain the concept of the show to you, but Kevin does a much better job in his latest column. What’s really cool about it, though, is that there’s a character who has SMA. The actor also has muscular dystrophy in real life. One of the writers of the show has a son with SMA, so it’s really amazing to see how they take real-life experiences and inject them into the storyline. Woo, love the disability representation!

As Kevin states, “a little awareness goes a long way,” and that’s exactly what Ordinary Joe is doing with their new series. Have you watched it yet?

mark-pratt replied 2 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • deann-r

October 13, 2021 at 12:19 pm

I really wanted to like the show, but I didn’t. After watching the first episode I haven’t been compelled to watch the next. Kudos for the representation though. I hope to see it more often.

• delphine-andrews

October 15, 2021 at 9:38 am

I have been watching it mostly for the representation, which I think is great. The show is ok otherwise. But the son is definitely my favorite part.

• mark-pratt

October 18, 2021 at 5:25 pm

Interesting show.  I’d be more interested in the 10-year-old disabled actor.  This one of the falls best new shows since This Is Us.