SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Blacking Out Joystick Lights

• Blacking Out Joystick Lights

Posted by deann-r on April 9, 2019 at 9:55 am

Maybe I’ve shared this tip before, but it really came in handy when I went to my nieces jazz concert last night. The over abundance of lights on my joystick annoys me. Especially in low-light situations like this concert. I block out the unnecessary lights with black fingernail polish. It probably won’t work for everyone, but works for me. Any tips or wheelchair modifications you’ve made?

halsey-blocher replied 5 years ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

April 9, 2019 at 12:35 pm

It’s funny you mention this. At the movie theater I go to, they serve food. When I’m eating, I have to keep my chair on so that I can operate my JACO robotic arm. I always feel bad when I have my chair on in the middle of the theater and the lights are on, especially because I watch movies in the dark religiously.

I came up with the solution of putting my poncho over the screen on my chair, so that it covers the lights. It works great, and it doesn’t get in the way of my hand operating my joystick. A hat works too.

• deann-r

April 11, 2019 at 10:08 am

I hardly ever turn off my chair unless toddlers are around.

• ryan-berhar

April 9, 2019 at 4:47 pm

Yeah this can be annoying. I sure wish they’d make the brightness adjustable. Like Kevin, I’ll just put a hat or something over it in theaters.

• halsey-blocher

April 9, 2019 at 9:11 pm

Mine has a sensor that detects the level of light and adjusts the brightness of the screen accordingly. This way, I can still see it, but it’s not hurting my eyes or bothering other people. I didn’t request this feature, so I don’t know what it is called. It was a pleasant surprise.

• ryan-berhar

April 10, 2019 at 11:09 pm

Wow. Does your chair fly too?

• deann-r

April 11, 2019 at 10:06 am

That’s awesome Halsey! What wheelchair do you have? Mine isn’t a screen, just lots of unnecessary lights, so didn’t mind covering them permanently. A display that dims would be nice. I’m taking notes so when I do need a new chair I can ask for what I want. Not that it’ll happen.

• kevin-schaefer

April 11, 2019 at 1:02 pm

Echoing what Ryan said, that’s pretty cool.

• halsey-blocher

April 11, 2019 at 8:52 pm

DeAnn, its a Quantum Edge 2.0. I used to use the Storm TDX but switched to Quantum in 2011. This is the second one I’ve had, and I have been pretty happy with them. It, unfortunately, does not fly.

• dennis-turner

April 11, 2019 at 9:10 am

On my scooter I used to cover them with black duct tape. Now with my power wheelchair I cover the positioning controls and the joystick with a small dark bag. They still shine through a bit, but it is much less offensive and still not permanent.

• deann-r

April 11, 2019 at 10:10 am

Duct tape is a good option too.