SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Cell Phone Woes

• Cell Phone Woes

Posted by deann-r on March 19, 2020 at 10:03 am

I don’t know if it’s the same for everyone, but I get attached to things that work for me. For instance I love my cell phone. Not only is it a good size, the weight is workable too. Aspects not every cell phone user care about. After four years I even found a case for it that doesn’t hinder its operation. As my phone started acting up I got that sinking feeling. In the last month it’s crashed twice, one time deciding to factory reset itself. Alright, I can live without half the contacts that didn’t restore. Now though, it’s acting possessed. It’s virtually impossible to navigate as the back button keeps activating itself. Neither YouTube or Google has found me a solution. Sigh, might be time to bite the bullet and get a new phone.

Unfortunately now’s not the best time to venture out to the store. Ideally I’d like to be able to handle the phones to see what is manageable. Since I can’t do that I figured I’d come to you. Do you have a favorite phone? Anything I should avoid? I haven’t jumped into the iPhone world yet. What camp are you, Android or iPhone? Hoping while I shop around I can get my phone to limp along. If anyone knows how to disable the back button on a Samsung Galaxy S6 let me know!

deann-r replied 4 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • dennis-turner

March 19, 2020 at 11:38 am
  • lupa-f

March 19, 2020 at 12:23 pm

I had used Samsungs up through the Galaxy 8. I really disliked the rounded edges the 8 had. I actually like having the bezel (I think Samsung has put them back on newer stuff). Since I really don’t use a ton of features on my phone I went with a cheaper option. I got the Pixel 3a XL. It’s one of the few times I’ve ever really liked changing to a new phone. It’s much easier to type on than the Galaxy 8, and the google assistant was already set up and I didn’t have Samsung’s software all over the place wanting to take everything over.

• deann-r

March 19, 2020 at 2:25 pm

Thanks for trying Dennis. I couldn’t find the restrict performance box. I tried playing around in the power saving mode & thought I had it working, but no.

Lupa, I do have friends that have a Pixel, so maybe next time I see them I’ll see if I like theirs. My Google assistant doesn’t work like it did before the factory reset, so that’s been annoying too.

• robert-stump

March 19, 2020 at 2:48 pm

I can’t physically use any features on any phone at this point, so I will look for the one with the best voice control options.  I have been sticking with Motorola for the last 3 phones I have had (The original moto x, and today the Moto X4).  The original Moto X is the first phone to offer real voice-only activation by just saying a phrase, and the Moto X4 has Alexa hands-free these days.  Of course, the Google assistant is also active so I have access to both assistants on one device.  Additionally, Motorola has built in voice texting and replying when a text arrives, and offers the ability to answer the phone by voice.  I’m not sure if other phone manufacturers offer these type of features, but for the time being I am satisfied with what this phone offers for me.

• halsey-blocher

March 19, 2020 at 9:49 pm

I’m a life long Apple user. I’m also getting to the point where I know I’ll have to get a new phone soon, but I really don’t want to. Phones – regardless of brand – have all gotten so big! Between my weak muscles and small hands, they just aren’t great options. But my phone is starting to get glitchy. I’ve been holding out hope that Apple will start making a smaller model again, but that doesn’t seem to be happening. People don’t want small phones. My brother has an iPhone that’s a few generations newer than mine, and it’s on the smaller end of the big phones. I need to ask him to let me play around with it.

• deann-r

March 20, 2020 at 9:02 am

Robert, I had been using more of the voice and accessibility features until my phone crashed. Getting it all set up again is a pain. Half the time I don’t remember how I did it. Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll look into them.

Halsey, I’ve always heard good things from Apple users. I don’t know why I’m so hesitant to take the plunge. Hope you can get a chance to try your brothers. It makes a big difference when you can actually get your hands on it to try it out.