• Sponsored Post

Planes, Trains, & Accessible Travel With SMA

Talk to your doctor to determine if you or your child is fit to travel.

Traveling with a child is never easy. Traveling with a child in a wheelchair is an extra challenge. The first time Leah flew on an airplane, she was six months old, almost a year before she was diagnosed. We have always been a traveling family and once she was diagnosed, we were both hopeful and determined that it wouldn’t hold us back.

I have always flown with Leah by myself, just the two of us. Call me crazy; it’s OK, I am. There are some things we have learned that have made it so much easier for us.

• This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Kelly Miller 1 month ago.

• Author
       Kevin Schaefer 
      Keymaster

Sorry for the long title of this post haha.

Hey everyone, check out my latest column here. It’s amazing how much SMA can affect the most mundane tasks, like flipping through a book. I wrote about this situation not to complain, but simply to highlight the struggles that most people don’t see.

On the flip side, these situations tend to make me more resourceful and creative. Hope you all enjoy this column!

Can you relate? Have you been in similar situations?

Rachel Markley 
      Participant

Literally me staring at my dinner last night while my parents heated their dinner, fed the dog, heated up the oven…

Kevin Schaefer 
        Keymaster

Totally understand. It’s cathartic though just writing about these situations.

Halsey Blocher 
      Participant

I also love physical books! I have hundreds of ebooks, but they just aren’t the same. I sometimes have trouble getting my books to stay open and holding them open can be quite tiring, but to me it’s worth it!

Kevin Schaefer 
        Keymaster

I hear ya! And yeah, flipping the pages can also be good exercise for us haha.

Adnan Hafizovic 
      Participant

It’s a nicer feeling to read paper books. Even though they have that smell. It’s just like when someone says that sex is better without a condom than with a condom. A bit of a joke.

Kevin Schaefer 
        Keymaster

Haha. And yeah there really is nothing like holding a book in your hands.

DeAnn R 
      Keymaster

I gave up on physical books long ago. Every day though something comes up that I just can’t do. Many times I spend way too much time trying anyway, sometimes successfully, sometimes not. Other times I just forego it until someone can help me. It’s certainly frustrating.

Kevin Schaefer 
        Keymaster

I hear ya. Often, I try really hard to figure out solutions as well when stuff like this comes up. It’s tough when you realize that asking for help is the only option, especially when the task is so small.

Ryan Berhar 
      Keymaster

The little things are often the most frustrating. Like i know I can’t run up a flight of stairs, but that’s easy to accept. It’s things that I can almost do, but not quite, like reading a book, that are the most frustrating.

Kelly Miller 
      Participant

I hear ya, Rachel! Last night my husband & I made dinner (I’m the “chef” of the operation & he’s the muscle.) He dished out my plate of sautéed shrimp, risotto, & brussels sprouts then set it on the table in front of the TV. I got to look at it while he got the bread out of the oven, fed the dog, washed the shrimp pan, poured our drinks, & dished out his food. I can’t remember the last time I had a meal that was warm. I’m not complaining necessarily because it’s just how it goes, but sometimes I do get nostalgic for HOT mashed potatoes!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
    or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.