SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Writes About How Physical Barriers Can Unfold in the Most Mundane of Situations

• Columnist Writes About How Physical Barriers Can Unfold in the Most Mundane of Situations

Posted by kevin-schaefer on September 4, 2019 at 2:20 pm

Sorry for the long title of this post haha.

Hey everyone, check out my latest column here. It’s amazing how much SMA can affect the most mundane tasks, like flipping through a book. I wrote about this situation not to complain, but simply to highlight the struggles that most people don’t see.

On the flip side, these situations tend to make me more resourceful and creative. Hope you all enjoy this column!

Can you relate? Have you been in similar situations?

kelly-miller replied 4 years, 7 months ago 7 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • rachel-markley

September 4, 2019 at 2:27 pm

Literally me staring at my dinner last night while my parents heated their dinner, fed the dog, heated up the oven…

• kevin-schaefer

September 4, 2019 at 2:38 pm

Totally understand. It’s cathartic though just writing about these situations.

• halsey-blocher

September 4, 2019 at 9:30 pm

I also love physical books! I have hundreds of ebooks, but they just aren’t the same. I sometimes have trouble getting my books to stay open and holding them open can be quite tiring, but to me it’s worth it!

• kevin-schaefer

September 5, 2019 at 9:59 am

I hear ya! And yeah, flipping the pages can also be good exercise for us haha.

• adnan-hafizovic

September 5, 2019 at 5:41 am

It’s a nicer feeling to read paper books. Even though they have that smell. It’s just like when someone says that sex is better without a condom than with a condom. A bit of a joke.

• kevin-schaefer

September 5, 2019 at 10:02 am

Haha. And yeah there really is nothing like holding a book in your hands.

• deann-r

September 5, 2019 at 9:41 am

I gave up on physical books long ago. Every day though something comes up that I just can’t do. Many times I spend way too much time trying anyway, sometimes successfully, sometimes not. Other times I just forego it until someone can help me. It’s certainly frustrating.

• kevin-schaefer

September 5, 2019 at 10:09 am

I hear ya. Often, I try really hard to figure out solutions as well when stuff like this comes up. It’s tough when you realize that asking for help is the only option, especially when the task is so small.

• ryan-berhar

September 9, 2019 at 3:31 pm

The little things are often the most frustrating. Like i know I can’t run up a flight of stairs, but that’s easy to accept. It’s things that I can almost do, but not quite, like reading a book, that are the most frustrating.

• kelly-miller

September 17, 2019 at 7:11 pm

I hear ya, Rachel! Last night my husband & I made dinner (I’m the “chef” of the operation & he’s the muscle.) He dished out my plate of sautéed shrimp, risotto, & brussels sprouts then set it on the table in front of the TV. I got to look at it while he got the bread out of the oven, fed the dog, washed the shrimp pan, poured our drinks, & dished out his food. I can’t remember the last time I had a meal that was warm. I’m not complaining necessarily because it’s just how it goes, but sometimes I do get nostalgic for HOT mashed potatoes!