• robert-stump

December 10, 2021 at 3:50 pm

Weirdly, I struggle more sitting up nowadays, even though for almost my entire life it has been worse when lying down.  Ever since starting Evrysdi back in September 2020, I struggle coughing up my own phlegm without help, sometimes to the point where it’s dangerous.  But, at the same time, if I lay down and roll to my left side, a cough almost naturally occurs without any effort to bring out, and I have not had a real coughing fit in bed while illness-free ever since.  I almost instinctively want to get in bed now if I’m struggling getting this annoying cough out!

I’m sorry you are dealing with that, I know it’s miserable.  I would just suggest doing an extra breathing treatment or doing deep breath exercises before lying down, or trying to find another sleeping position while laying down.  I have noticed greatly increased phlegm when I roll too far on my right side.  You might want to also raise the head of the bed if possible.  Have you considered taking some guaifenesin right before bedtime?

• deann-r

December 13, 2021 at 9:07 am

In my case it’s an issue with reflux. Didn’t even realize that was my problem until I had an endoscopy for something else and the doctor noticed I have a lot of scarring from it. Apparently that can be another SMA related concern because our weak muscles don’t keep things down like they’re supposed to. An acid reflux medication and sleeping on an incline seem to help me. Drool still goes down the wrong pipe on occasion, but it’s definitely cut down on my rattle attacks.